Never Hire A Jehovah's Witness!

by Kent 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Kismet
    Kismet

Gozz:

It is called tabloid journalism. The National Inquirer and other similar rags all use it as do tabloid TV shows.

Sensationalism, exageration gets people to read it. It is not my preferred style but Kent uses it with obviously some success.

Personally, I don't read the rag journals as I appreciate legitimate journalism.

Kismet

• Tina
    Tina

Hi Kat
    Welcome Aboard!!

I think what you are referring to can be found in a thread started by Kent called.'The Story of Brent Craft&Carol Keener'. Aug 9,a few pages back. A JW employee violating medical confidentiality. regards,tina

• musky
    musky

kent,
    not all employers that hire people disclose everything that they expect employees to do. The answer to the chi chi's case depends on whether she was informed about the birthday songs before she was hired. I will say it again. People have a right to believe what they want.Reasonable accomodations should always be made by the employer. At the same time,employees should make every reasonable effort to do the job they were hired for.
    I am a skilled tradesmen. I understand what I was hired to do and know what is expected of me. If my boss decided one day that company profits could be boosted if I sent christmas cards to all customers, or sang happy birthday to our good customers, He should not be able to fire me if I don't do so. Hell, if he got away with that, maybe he'd have me wiping his butt after he took a dump too!
    Your post says never hire a jw. I gotta believe that there are many hard working jw's as well as a lot of slacker jw's. The same can be said for everyone else. I will say this though. It is hard getting good help anywhere nowadays.

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

Years ago, the society put forth the rules of employment and among other things they included: NOT working for any church or faith based company. Even being a janitor for them. NOT working for any company that distributes cigarettes. NOT working for company that works directly with defense contractors or the military (blood guilt you know).

So, wouldn't an obedient, dutiful JW be required to perform due diligence about the company they are applying to work for? Isn't Jehovah putting the onus on the JW and not the worldly employer whom he is going to destroy soon anyway?

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

drahcir yarrum said: So, wouldn't an obedient, dutiful JW be required to perform due diligence about the company they are applying to work for? Isn't Jehovah putting the onus on the JW and not the worldly employer whom he is going to destroy soon anyway?

Excellent point! Problem is that JWs think the world owns them a living, after all it isn’t the world’s money anyway. God will soon destroy them and it will all be “ours.”

You don’t believe me? A circuit assembly (it has been many years ago now) had a demonstration in which three fat witness guys sat on the stage and discussed their plights (they where all out of work). The point of the demo was that it was not wrong to accept unemployment checks because unemployment insurance was a legal benefit that had been paid on their behalf. They were initialed to the money, so take it and pioneer.

This demo was done back in my JW days. Nevertheless, it made me sick at the time. The message I saw in that demo was the endorsement of laziness with respect to ‘secular” work. Don’t work if jobs are not chasing you down. Avoid work if you can get paid legally and instead of working, pioneer.

Most JWs I knew when I was in a position to hire would gladly take whatever money they could for as little investment in time possible. I ended up firing two elders or soon to be elders plus several other JWs for attitudes like those mentioned above.

The court cases Kent has referred to in this thread also illustrate the general JW desire to get as much as possible for as little as possible. I can guarantee that more than a few JWs have told the winners of large judgements: “ isn’t it nice that you can take all of that money and pioneer now that you don’t have to work so much.” Contributing to society in general by had work has never been a strong suit of JWs. After all, “this Old World is gonna be destroyed any day now."

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Eccl 1:14, 15

• Gozz
    Gozz

Musky,

while you are right in being balanced in your views, I think drahcir yarrum is right in insisting that the onus is on Jehovah's Witnesses to go the extra mile in verifying what may be required in the course of doing a job they apply for. He is because it is the individual JW who will seek to be exempted from certain activities. But with jobs being a bit difficult to find, silence becomes golden. For instance, a JW seeking a job when asked about his religion may answer -'Christianity'. He is right. But is that honest? The answer is 'No'. Honesty demands that he says more if he would insist on certain 'rights'.

Sam Beli, you destroy your fine argument with your last lines. You might have been right if you said many JWs have the attitude you describe. But you speak with respect to countries where the government issues cheques to the unemployed; you however forget that many, many, JWs are in the Third World Countries where such does not exist, and where individual Witnesses have to toil like other honest citizens to make a living.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Gozz, your are right, I should have said that my observations are confined to the United States and that I was applying my remarks to those JWs.

Thank you for pointing out my oversight.

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Eccl 1:14, 15

• Gozz
    Gozz

Kent,
    I refer to your comments per my post.

You're definitely going over the edge with this campaign against Jehovah's Witnesses. What makes you think all JWs will do the things you allege? You break the rules of reasoning in this war. You've begun fighting for a cause I perceive to be different than helping people to reason. Just listen to yourself... The situation is simple. It is untrue that all Jehovah's Witnesses will obey Brooklyn. It's not true...Never Marry a JW; Never Hire a JW; Never... Never... Were you to apply the same standard to all religions what would remain of the world? It's easy to find teachings in several religions that are somewhat equivalent to the weaknesses of the Witnesses. Your campaign has degenerated to a dehumanizing of Witnesses. And I know all decent peple fing that repulsive.

• JanH
    JanH

Gozz,

You're definitely going over the edge with this campaign against Jehovah's Witnesses. What makes you think all JWs will do the things you allege? You break the rules of reasoning in this war.

Not at all.

Kent is not saying that all JWs will do these things. But employing a person is very risky in any case. It is a big investment. If it goes wrong, one bad employee can cost you your business or at least huge losses. Why increase the risk?

You are not guaranteed that a JW will perform badly. Far from it. But it severely increases the risk, especially for someone who needs to keep confidentiality. So, I would use a person's religion (JWs or other extremists) against that person. Would I never employ a JW? If he had many great points in his favor, I still might, but the bar would be higher for a JW than a non-JW.

That is a rational approach.

Right now we have a problem at my workplace, a JW who will not do as he's told, takes no initiative and makes customers complain about his rudeness. He had ok creditentials. Knowing that I, his superior (but not his boss), is an exJW doesn't exactly make him behave better. He'll have to improve very soon to avoid getting the sack. His replacement, in case, will not be a JW if I have any say.

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The Devil´s Dictionary, 1911]

• Kismet
    Kismet

Jan:

For someone with so much head knowledge, you sure can be dumb sometimes.

Knowing that I, his superior (but not his boss), is an exJW doesn't exactly make him behave better. He'll have to improve very soon to avoid getting the sack. His replacement, in case, will not be a JW if I have any say.

- Jan

Any enterprising JW could apply for the position. When they don't get it they simply take your post quoted above to a workplace discrimination lawyer. They would make enough to pioneer for a couple years from that settlement!

To all readers: Even if you feel this way, never be so stupid as to put in in writing and sign your name to it.

Seriously tho Jan, to save yourself some potential problems you might want to edit your post. If you do edit it, I will also remove the quote above. Let me know.

Kismet - who wishes he was in Norway so he could make a few quick bucks.

PS - I didn't even want to touch the "I am his superior' comment... LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit