Rita a Category 5 with 165 mph winds now!

by Frannie Banannie 22 Replies latest social current

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Okay, yall. I just found out that we're actually 85 miles inland (whew) and unless they make evacuation of our area mandatory, we're gonna stock up and weather the storm. We should be alright. Those strong winds and storms always lose strength as soon as they hit shore. But they did say, even this morning on the weather report that 75 mph winds will be felt even as far as Austin. And that was before it escalated to cat. 5.

We made it thru Audrey in 1961 and Carla in 1963, and we were only 25 miles inland when they hit.

Frannie

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Kwin, Billygoat, HL and JH, I'll keep yall posted. Thanks, yall.

You'll need lots of hair spray Frannie....

JH.....LMAO!!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

This is a pic of Hurricane Gilbert making landfall from the mouth of the Gulf back in 1988.

And this is Rita......

Both category 5's.....look about the same, don't they?

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Take care and let us know afterward that you are ok??

Sherry

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Take care and let us know afterward that you are ok??

((((Sherry))))) Will do.

Do yall know that my SIL just left about an hour ago driving INTO Houston to teach a computer class!!??!!

• Soledad
    Soledad

That storm looks horrible

Stay safe people!

• horrible life
    horrible life

Frannie, my friends are also staying. They live by Lake Conroe. Near the Dam. I asked her if the dam was cement or earth, she didn't know. Do you? No hotel rooms til you get to Oklahoma City, I heard on TV.. Hope all goes well. Battan down them there hatches matey. HL

• Shakita
    Shakita

Just spoke with my brother in Baytown. He will be evacuating tomorrow morning. His house is just 8 ft above sea level, and with the storm surge suspected of being 19 or more feet....it doesn't look good at all. He doesn't expect to have anything left to come home to.

He is on his way up to our house in New Jersey. He will stop at the half way point somewhere in Alabama and wait and watch the news to see if he will be able to return or not. If he sees that there is nothing left...he will be living with us for a while.

It is all so very scary and sad.

Take care everyone in the path of this monster.

Mrs. Shakita

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

The last major hurricane to strike the Houston area was Category-3 Alicia in 1983. It flooded downtown Houston, spawned 22 tornadoes and left 21 people dead.

I just read that in a news report

Also, I just read that Rita is 350 miles in diameter!!! (faints)

• Bryan
    Bryan

Pressure has now dropped to 898 mb. Winds at about 180-190 mph!

OMG!

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit