DID you miss any good TV programmes while attending meetings etc?

by badboy 22 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Before VCRs of course, they switched Star Trek (The Original) to a meeting night. That was a good reason to get sick but not enough to stay home alone with my abusive non-JW father. Otherwise I was more concerned about getting my homework done.

Blondie

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Good question! definetly saturday morning cartoons and of course as of now (hey! don't forget some of us are still in it) veronica mars on upn. I LOVE THAT SHOW!

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

I was never a JW, but was raised in a strict sect called the worldwide church of god. It has many similar characteristics, no christmas, no easter, etc. A major difference was that we held church services on Saturday, and kept the Jewish way of keeping time-sundown to sundown. So that meant Friday evening when the sun set, the tv got turned off, and wasn't turned on again until Saturday night. This was back in the late 70's through most of the 80's until I escaped. My parents were addicted to the night soap "Dallas", we had one of the old betamax recorders, and they recorded Dukes of Hazard, Dallas, and Falcon Crest every Friday night so that we could watch them on Sunday. The worst part was summers, getting home at 6 or 7 in the evening, and waiting with your stomach growling for the damn sun to set at 8:30 or so at night with daylight savings time. (There was a period of time in which they also believed that you had to fast on Saturdays, due to the no labor on the sabbath scripture.) Sometimes on Saturday evenings with the sun setting late and all, we taped the first half of Love Boat too I think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit