do you resent your parents for bringing you into the WTS?

by kid-A 35 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• kid-A
    kid-A

For those born into the WTS, do you ever feel resentment towards your folks for forcing this upon you?

I went through a stage of strong resentment and anger, but no longer feel this way. I think they sincerely believed they were acting in my best interests. Everything is cool with us now but I guess I am just lucky since I got out before baptism.......

For those who do feel this way, how are you working through your feelings?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I dont resent my parents. I think they thought they were doing what was best for their children, same as I am doing with mine by taking them to a child friendly church instead of a child hostile kingdom hall.

Josie

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I dont resent my parents, I regret the situation itself. As was said previously JW parents are just doing what they feel is best for their children. IMO you need to shrug it off as well now I am my own person and I know better.

• Scully
    Scully

My parents converted to the JWs before I was 10 years old. I know they were "brainwashed" (for lack of a better word), and they didn't have the skills to see through the circular logic that they were fed.

What I do resent is their attitude that "they only did what they thought was best for their children", while at the same time they shun me for "only doing what I think is best for my children".

They don't believe that my right to choose is just as valid as theirs, and that is what I resent.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

yes, totally.

• startingover
    startingover

If there is anything that I resent, it is that I was not given a choice.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

No, never. My parents thought they were doing what was right - who can be blamed for that? Interestingly, my dad is the one who regrets bringing us up as Witnesses.

• flower
    flower

I dont resent being raised a dub but I do resent the fact that they allow the organization to control who they can and cant love and I resent that they allow the org to tell them that they have to disown their own children if they believe differently.

I understand that they believe what they did in raising their children as dubs was the right thing to do but they know for a fact that they arent shunning me for 'me' or because they think it will bring me back to the 'truth'. They know there is zero chance of that happening. They are doing it simply because the organization tells them its what they have to do and because if they dont they may have to face the consequences. They are doing it because deep down they are cowards.

I resent the fact that they are cowards.

• nowisee
    nowisee

i do not resent my parents for bringing me up jw. i believe they were doing what they thought was in everyone's best interests -- life on paradise earth etc. etc.

i do resent the closed mindedness of the wts and unwillingness to entertain any other possibilities except the ones they set forth.

• nowisee
    nowisee

i do not resent my parents for bringing me up jw. i believe they were doing what they thought was in everyone's best interests -- life on paradise earth etc. etc.

i do resent the closed mindedness of the wts and unwillingness to entertain any other possibilities except the ones they set forth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit