HOTEL CALIFORNIA...and beyond

by tijkmo 15 Replies latest social entertainment

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i was travelling at the weekend and decided to put the eagles hotel california in the cd player...i have always liked this album but due to my recent music studies i listened to it in a different light...we have been discussing the importance of presentation aswell as good music...and it struck me that this cd has it all...proper balance, the right mix of guitar and keyboard, of heavy and light, of rock and acoustic, great ballads, great lyrics, and great vocals and harmonies, great opening, brilliant ending fade-out...

and all done without drugs

so whats your favorite eagles top 5

mine are in this order....

no 5.....new kid in town

no 4.....the sad cafe

no 3.....wasted time

no 2.....desperado

no 1....the last resort

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

The Last Resort _ The only song that comes to mind when asked what my favourite song is, by any band, no matter if I haven't heard it in ages.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Hahaha! In our last life together, Kevan and I lived in a place we called Hotel California! It is a 2 building 2 story stucco with flat roof and rooftop gardens apartment complex that was painted in citrus colours.

I love the Eagles. Their music was/is excellent. The biggest problem is that they were so popular that their music was played every 20 minutes! So it got boring after a short while.

Ramblin Man

Hotel California

Desperado

Not necessarily in that order.

• twolips
    twolips

Well everyone knows SATAN produced that album . ;-)

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Agreed...the Eagles rock...

Nice to meet you at the weekend too matey...great to put a face to the name...hope to see more of you and your ladyship too.

DB74

• upside/down
    upside/down
    and all done without drugs

You're kidding right?

u/d (of the there's no way...class)

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

The Last Resort

Hotel California

Wasted Time

Tequilla Sunrise

After The Thrill Is Gone

• Preston
    Preston

I'm not a big EAGLES fan (like Jeff "the dude" Lebowski)...however...I think "Take it Easy" is a cool driving song.... and I've been to Winslow, AZ several times... there's a big crater there...

- Preston

• prophecor
    prophecor

Here a go a few of my top five TJ, though it's truly impossible to narrow them down to five, I'll just play along anyway.

1. Those Shose.

This was the first time I was introduced to the music of the Eagles from the standpoint of wanting to get to know more about them and thier music. I had never heard a white rock / folk / country band play anything that had so much true raw funk attached to it, and not have somebody black in the middle of it somewhere. The song perked my ears up and got me to listen more intently at the other music they had available.

2. Desperado.

This was a wrenchinching of the heart song. It made me too aware that if I didn't find somebody to love one day soon, I would probably die a bitter and desperately angry individual. I was alone in my being a witness during those days when I'd familiarised myself with this tune in particular, and it weighed heavily on my heart that I was alone, and lonely and needed to break away from the desperation of my life as it was, being a witness, single, and having no true access to supplying that desire. Unemployed and uneducated, I was not a good candidate for marriage material.

3. Wasted Time.

The same energy of number two, only the absolute reversal. Having found what I believed to be love after leaving the witnesses, I'd come to view all things I'd done up to that point an entire waste of precious time. Years that could have been spent doing something that could've brought some serious benefit and change to my life.

4. Lying Eyes.

The flair and country feel got me to listen for years when I really didn't know who the Eagles were. The music you hear at the supermarket piped in to numb you from the mundane experience of shopping. It was just one of those type of Peaceful Easy Feeling type songs that just get your attention.

5. Life In The Fast Lane.

The drugs. Period. The racious rocket ship ride to hell I was on in the 70's set to music. It was an exciting exclamation point when I would sit back and listen to the energy of life on full tilt. 200MPH without a second to think. Life in all its crazed maddening glory.

Thanks for making me remember what I've been wishing to forget TJ

jk

The Eagles are an American Icon in music history. Though Don Henley being a sizeable degree of the bands dynamics, he went on to make a great name for himself in his solo projects that have come to be classics in thier own time.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Robbie Robertson did some really good Native American music, exploring his own roots.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit