Should I take the bread and the wine, asks my friend,

by twinkletoes 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

Two of our friends (ex JWs) came out of the Org, about three years ago. They went to an evangelical church, and have now settled in the Salvation Army. The SA, does not have the bread and wine ceremony/service, and the wife, (her husband believes that they should partake of the bread and wine) has been prayerfully searching to see if they should really take of the Bread and Wine. She was a Methodist, before becoming a JW, and was used to partaking in those days.

She has asked if I could put this question open to you all for your comments. Unfortunately, she doesn't have internet access, but I have promised to print out any replies for her to read.

Many thanks

Twink

• kid-A
    kid-A

Not sure I understand. They are in the SA, but the SA does not have the bread-wine ceremony, which bread-wine ceremony are you referring to, did you mean the memorial?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I think they mean the Eucharist, otherwise know as communion.

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Sorry, I still use lots of JWs expressions ! Yes she means the Communion. I was surprised that the Salvation Army don't have communion, perhaps it is just something decided on by the Captain of that particular church, I personally thought that all "Churches of Christendom" (as the witnesses would call them) had communion.

Thanks again for any comments

Twink

Just in case I confuse anyone, Kaytee is my husband and I forgot to logout and back in with my name! It's getting late

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Here's aanswer why the SA church does not do Communion:

We don't have communion in the Salvation Army, mainly for historical reasons. When the Salvation Army first started:

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Twinkletoes, Yes! After all our Lord expects it of his disciples. But the Watchtower scares their members off with Paul’s words. Is what Paul said a reason not to partake? Why did he say such things then? Here is what Paul was up against. 1Cor 11:18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it. 19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you. 20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord’s supper. Motives, divisions heresies. He had the task of pointing them out and correcting them. That is why he looked for approved men to appoint as Elders. In our day such motives, divisions and heresies are out of control and there is no Paul to correct them. There are no such approved men to be made manifest. We do not even have a church as they did. We are on our own to sort such things out. We have only such texts to guide us today. Paul said: 11:27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. That’s all he asks. Go ahead and eat that bread and drink that cup. Simply make that effort to examine yourself and serve the faith (not some religious belief) and do not depend upon those who’s wrong motives are causing division and teach heresies. You are on your own. Be that person “which are approved.” Joseph

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I can't imagine labeling one's self as a Christian and not 'partaking of the emblems,' either weekly or on Nisan 14/15 after sundown. Jesus' and Paul's words are pretty clear. Imagine if one of them walked into a Kingdom Hall during the "Memorial" and found that 1 or 2 or even none partook. They'd wonder if they'd stumbled into a satanic ritual of refusing the flesh and blood of the Christ.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

many leaders and members were women, and it would be unthinkable then for women to serve communion

Peaceful Pete,

Too bad! There is no such restriction in scripture. Just another example of how Paul's message was mis-interpreted and abused. There is no reason why they cannot do this privately in their own home. Such family homes were the faith in Paul's day and this is the reason why he not only taught publicly in the synagogues but went from such house to house.

Ac 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
    Ac 20:20 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,

Joseph

• lawrence
    lawrence

Cygnus-

Totally agreed when you stated,

"I can't imagine labeling one's self as a Christian and not 'partaking of the emblems'"

These elitist false prophets and Anti Christs known as the G.B. and their predecessors (from the days of the evil slave Joseph Rutherford) have prevented millions from having a true Christian experience. I partook with them (in the KH), and partake having left them. So when I visit different denominations I partake if they are partaking. I have partaken with Baptists, Pentecostals, Methodists, Catholics (bread only), Presbyterians, Adventists, and numerous other gatherings.

Christianity is a mystical daily experience unless one gets railroaded by a cult. Matter of fact, there is total mystery in Christianity after one leaves texts, commentaries, prophecy, and the words of men. What's left -- Christ! Mind you, I was raised to be an Orthodox Rabbi, did my stint with the JWs, studied Eastern religions and Old/New Age gurus, perused Western isms, and then lo and behold... "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life." Just Jesus, and no religion. The sacrament/emblems are devoid of who puts the bread, wafer, matzos, or crackers on the plate. It's the Christian partaking of the mystery and that's a new beginning.

To those confused by my explanation, there are no further words, for words can't adequately define the mystery, and needless to say for that reason, the mystery can not be taught by man with words.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Simply put, if someone is a Christian it would be expected that they would join in that communal meal with their friend and brother. It doesn't take too much soul-searching as it was mandated with a "do this in rememberance of me...".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit