EX JWs - What planted the seed in your mind?

by jstalin 28 Replies latest jw friends

• daystar
    daystar

Ragnar1211

I wonder if anyone that ever left the organization was looking for the truth when they left or just an easier life... Sounds like all of you are looking for a life of ease, sounds like easy prey for Satan. If you were looking for truth when you left - what did you find that was so inspiring?

?? The "what else is there?" argument? I would rather end my days in uncertainty than live the lies and emotionally and psychologically damaging rules that spew from the WTBTS.

And uncertainty is much more difficult than even the evil and false structure that has been blasphemously built in the name of Jehovah God by the WTBTS.

One of the most courageous things a person can do is challenge their beliefs, and if they don't hold up to scrutiny, to leave them behind.

• talesin
    talesin

Growing up a JW, being abused and molested repeatedly, then as a teen seeing the hypocritical double lives my fellow pioneers led, shady business dealings where 'brothers' stole from their 'brothers' and got away with it because there was no 'proof', elders who were drunk from Friday nite till Monday morning (everyone knew it). That's the tip of the iceberg.

This made me believe that it was not 'the truth' (TM), and at 17 I started my quest for a more fulfilling, moral path in life. The WTBTS is corrupt, and most of its members are hyprocrites who lead double lives.

There was no seed, it was a lifetime of lies that convinced me to leave.

talesin <------ happy apostate

• Es
    Es

everyone in my congo, especially the elders.

Started questioning certain things and then especially when the pedophile thing came out with the two witness thing i was like see ya

es

• kid-A
    kid-A

This guy!!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I never doubted the org a bit, it was the Bible that tripped me up. I started reasoning on the impossibility of the Noah story, ultimately rejected it as a myth, then lost Jesus and the gospels since they speak of that as a historical event. Once that was gone, I thought, "Am I really gonna waste my life in this bible-based organization?" Once I left and started reading up on it, I realized the Watchtower was just another religion, not "The Truth". Simply another church, like all the others. But worse, since it is so controlling of its members.

Dave

• upside/down
    upside/down

Nothing...

The f*ckers started to shun me and my family for no good reason...then left us for dead....Dumbass me was STILL "loyal", then one fine day I stumbled onto JWD...

The rest is history.

u/d(of the they have no one to blame but themselves class)

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I was out for 10 years and still believing it was all true and a friend asked me a question about the witnesses. Since I didn't have any of their books anymore I went on the internet to see what I could find.

And boy oh boy did I ever find....

I have no idea what the question was but the result was shocking to me.

Then I found this place and haven't left yet

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Hated it right out of the gates as a child for jacking my childhood. Then as I got older I started to examine the doctrine and that was all she wrote.

• Caedes
    Caedes

I was about six when I started to have doubts about what I was being taught (It just didn't add up in my mind).

Things started to become clearer as I realised that the things people say don't match what they do. The first thing that happened was realising that my mother had divorced my dad (a non witness) so that she could be married to a 'fine' 'upstanding' dub (in the real world a gambling, violent drunkard with no financial sense - it was 1974 what can I say! )

Then when I realised that nobody gave a sh*t that my stepdad was not living up to the dub ideal as long as he was 'trying'

Next my sister was married off to a violent, bullying pervert with all the social graces of a particularly flatulent and halitosis-ridden hippo, and guess what?! "well he is trying"

Then we started having a tuesday night meeting at a house in a neighbouring town where the children (who all looked like second world war refugees, obviously you can imagine how bad they were when even the other witness kids thought they looked wierd!) were too scared to even talk to other witness children.

Obviously I was starting to realise that logical debate was a no-no and that asking questions about my doubts was more likely to result in a beating than a reasoned reply so by age 7 or 8 I was practically silent on my real thoughts regarding 'The Truth'

I then started at secondary school and I remember coming home and very excitedly telling my mum that I had decided I wanted to go to University (planning ahead you see) and being absolutely crushed when she looked at me with utter scorn and said "No you're not, you're going to be a window cleaner". Although I haven't cleaned a window since I must admit it did mean that I never really bothered at school.

The real clincher was when a (witness)friend of mine killed himself, and I have never heard a more arrogant, hypocritical, hatefull, uncaring, callous, coldblooded, heartless pack of animals in all my life. The guy had put his head on a railway track and not one witness had the nerve to be even slightly honest about his (well-known) reasons for doing so.

In the many years years since the dubs have continued to attempt to destroy the remains of my family and never once have I seen even one shred of humanity in the dubs that I have met let alone any trace of 'Jehovah's loving kindness'

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

It's just the fact that while love is on their lips, it is far from them......and gets farther away every day. Their actions speak more truthfully about them than their words.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit