What do you say in field service?

by blindersoff 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Will they really let a newly reinstated person go door to door alone? I always thought it was a case of some spiritually mature one taking them under their wing for a long time.

• carla
    carla

Put a sticker on the first page you would open to that says- Warning this is cult reading material- dangerous to your spiritual well being- or something on that order if you must deliver the rags.

• atypical
    atypical

Blindersoff, I sympathize with your position. I have been trying to fade peacefully for the sake of my wife, sister, mother, father, grandmother, great uncle, etc., and I do not want to make waves if possible because it will hurt my relations with my family. I realize that would be the fault of the organization, not my own, but I am stuck in a harsh reality and trying to make the best of it. I am technically inactive because I have not turned time for the last two months, but I can tell you exactly what I was doing for many months leading up to that point.

1. I would go in service just enough to make sure someone could verify that I was participating in the ministry.

2. At the door, although I am fairly good with people, I would purposely use the most dry presentation possible: "Hello, how are you. I am visiting your neighbors with the Watchtower and Awake magazines. Are you familiar with them?" Trust me, with that presentation, you will rarely, if ever, have to go any farther before they shut you down. Then, as you walk away, smile like a dope to your service partner and say,"well, at least I know it's not me they're rejecting". If you are just trying to get a few hours in each month, you could get by for years with this approach.

3. Mix in some streetwork (early morning service). For me, this was the best for several reasons: Most importantly, I got to approach somebody by myself, with no service partner. I purposely would pick the wildest looking person, and just say hello. Usually they would say something interesting enough to start a conversation. I would talk with them long enough to kill some time, about anything from their recent Muslim conversion to which Burger King they like the best, and then wish them goodday and walk back to the car.

The hardest thing to realize, Blindersoff, is that if you want to fake it, it is painfully easy. You can purposely do a terrible job at every witness activity, and still be better than half of them. All the organization cares about is having you go through the motions.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Agree with atypical, faking is easy and convincing.
    For the final year that I went witnessing i went on other peoples RVs as much as i could so that i didn't have to say anything. At the door i just offered mags.
    "Heres a really good magazine on ...(whatever boring woe is me type topic was on for the month). You dont want it? Sure? Ok have a nice day"

• Honesty
    Honesty

Tell 'em the truth.

"Hi, I'm here today in the JW cult door-to-door work because that is the only way I can keep from being shunned by my family. I have these apostate magazines that attack Christianity and I am obligated to offer them to you. Please say "NO" and I will be on my way".

• bavman
    bavman

The last couple years I was a witness I didn't want to direct anyone to the "organization" but I still believed the bible. I would simply try and get into bible discussions and encourage bible reading. Heck, I even remember my Dad for a long time use to go to the door and simply say, "I am just here encouraging bible reading". I thought at the time that was quite a cop out but perhaps he was having doubts himself then. Now, I am such a bad!$% I couldn't dream of even going to the door and saying anything about the bible. I might encourage voting Democrat though.

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

Honesty

Tell 'em the truth.

"Hi, I'm here today in the JW cult door-to-door work because that is the only way I can keep from being shunned by my family. I have these apostate magazines that attack Christianity and I am obligated to offer them to you. Please say "NO" and I will be on my way".

As I have thought about this, I think it has real possibilities. At least it would make field service interesting. Also I would be saying something I could really get behind.

B

• mouthy
    mouthy

Idon't even bother pressing the doorbell anymore, I just pretend to. If I do talk to a householder, I just offer the mags, no follow up or Bible study.

Oh PLEASE dont give that poison out to anyone....Have you any idea how many lives have been ruined by folks just accepting this at the door... You are not really believing what the bible says so why pretend you do.????.. It is told to us we would lose ALL on account of CHRIST!!!! WE would be thrown out of fellowship( synagogue)) once we listened to HIM!! I have not read all the replies but I BEG you PLEASE dont get uniformed people ( about the cults) involved just so you can keep your family!!!! Others will lose theirs maybe because of you.... I know what i am talking about I made 10 people JWs because I believed it Some of them lost all family when they realized it was not the truth -Like I have lost..... You on the other hand dont really believe it.. If you want to say some thing at the doors . Say... I am here to tell you I believe there is a GOD!!! I hope you will have a happy Holiday & a better New Year...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit