What do you say in field service?

by blindersoff 37 Replies latest jw friends

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

I learned the truth about the truth after I was DF. Now, I want to get reinstated for family reasons. I still want to walk the tightrope to the point of going in service,but cannot promote the teachings of WTS as I did for 40 yrs.

I gather that some here still go in field service. What do you present or talk about at the door?

Thanks for your input.

B

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Blindersoff, I still go out in service, not because I want to, but because I have to, to keep my family happy.

I don't like being a hypocrite, but the alternative is far worse to even contemplate.

I don't even bother pressing the doorbell anymore, I just pretend to. If I do talk to a householder, I just offer the mags, no follow up or Bible study.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I don't get it. You want to go back for "family reasons" & spread their BS from door to door, even though you say you've learned 'the truth about the truth'? How can you do that?

• blindersoff
    blindersoff
    I don't get it. You want to go back for "family reasons" & spread their BS from door to door, even though you say you've learned 'the truth about the truth'? How can you do that?

That is the problem Danny ol' boy.

I don't want to spread their BS, but there must be something truthful to present.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

William Shakespeare said it best a few hundred years ago, man: "To thine own self be true."

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

Talk about God and the bible.... but don't talk about the Watchtower....

you can still be christian and serve god not the Watchtower....

Talk about the good news of Jesus or the love of God..

"God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life god can help you when you are suffering, just have faith in him and pray without ceasing"

Stuff like that... don't even mention the watchtower.

Evanescence

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I dunno, man. I don't know you from Adam. I'm sure there's more to your story than I know. But my 30-second read is that you want to have your cake and eat it, too. You want your 'family reasons' and you want to feel good about what you say to people when you ring their doorbells. I don't think you can have both once you understand 'the truth about the truth'.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I can understand that some are in a position where they can't get out right a way but I don't understand how someone could even think of going out spreading a belief system they know is false. If you can see the harm it is doing in your life how could you go door to door trying to convice others to put themselves in the same postion you are in?

As Dan-O said: To thine own self be true. Personally I don't need people in my life (friends or family) that would require me to live a lie in order to befriend me.

Evenesence said when you go out service you could just talk about God and the Bible. I guess you could do that for a while but eventually they would catch on and nail you for doing that. If you are to be true to yourself at some point you will need to take a stand. The best advise I give you is to prepare yourself eventuality. The cost of leaving can be high but the cost of staying is far worse. If you stay under the conditions you have stated it will distroy you as a person.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Though many years ago, I remember my last few weeks in field service. There was no Web then, no Ray Franz books, only '30 Years a WatchTower Slave' and Martin's book. I had read the complete Word 6 or 7 times in 5 years while pioneering, checked out Russell's works and Rutherford's, and was pained to the heart knowing how wrong it was what I was preaching and teaching (8 Bible Studies at the time). So the last weeks of my service I only used the Bible at doors, WRONG, that started off a hornets nest with the elders, brothers, sisters, and eventually CO (visiting the following week, or 2 weeks). Though, I thought I was ready and willing for it... man, what a haul!

ANOTHER OPTION: Become dumb like Zechariah, and scratch on an Etch A Sketch, that you saw a vision and are now silent until THE END. You can do 10 hours a month picking up coffee and donuts for the pack, and they can sit in vehicles waiting and swapping stories about the apostates of old, while saving gas and shoe leather.

20 And now you shall be silent and unable to speak until the day when this takes place, because you did not believe what I said, though my words will be fulfilled in due course." 21 Meanwhile the people were watching for Zechariah, wondering at his remaining so long in the Temple. 22 When he came out, he was unable to speak to them, and they perceived that he had seen a vision there. But Zechariah kept making signs to them, and remained dumb."

• defd
    defd

I don't even bother pressing the doorbell anymore, I just pretend to. If I do talk to a householder, I just offer the mags, no follow up or Bible study.

You may not realize this truths, but you are actually PLANTING seeds in people. You wouldnt need to follow up on it. Jehovah will be sure to make it grow.

"I planted, A·pol´los watered, but God kept making [it] grow; so that neither is he that plants anything nor is he that waters, but God who makes [it] grow." 1Cor 3:6

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit