Householder asks JW how much they gave to the Katrina relief effort

by truthseeker 21 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

You're right Joker. The WTS is sending help and the brothers and sisters are giving money, clothes, labor and construction materials to help.

The thing is, the WTS is not a charitable organization. They are a publishing corporation. Like many other corporations, they are sending help to the disaster victims and that can be recognized and applauded.

What is different from other corporations however, is that the WTS is not setting up a separate fund where disaster relief monies can go. It has been shown that the WTS is accepting money for relief work, but it is to be sent to the Wold Wide Work fund and that they alone will determine what of that is to be used for disaster relief. What is disturbing is that all the money that is sent in by JWs and even non-JWs thinking that it will be used for disaster relief may not be used for that, but instead used for normal operating costs. There is no accounting of the money recieved. What if they received 10 million in donations meant for relief work but only spent 6 million? What happens to the rest? Is it given to the Red Cross or some other charity that will ensure that it is used for disaster relief? Or will it end up in the coffers of the WTS, to be used to print books and mags? What should it be used for? How would we know without some kind of accounting of the monies received for disaster relief?
    To the average JW, all of this means nothing. They give to the WTS to help in the relief, believing full well that the WTS knows what to do and what it will cost. To outsiders it means something more sinister. You have to admit that not setting up a separate account for relief donations is suspect. If another church or charity operated the same way, wouldn't you be suspicious of their motives?

I'm glad that the brothers and sisters want to help. I wish them well in helping their own and I hope that they help others not of the faith. But I can't trust a corporation that says they are helping and accepts donations but doesn't set up a separate fund so as to determine how the money should be used or can be used. I'd rather send my money where I know it will end up helping disaster victims and not print books.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Joker, I've made a special effort since I've left the Witnesses to help strangers in addition to friends and family. If I see a homeless person hanging around my favorite donut shop, I buy him breakfast. If any of my friends needs food, I make it for them or buy it for them. If my father-in-law turned up destitute on my doorstep, I'd kick him in the ass and call the police -- oh wait, that's a whole 'nother subject . . .

Catholic and other church charities do not appear to help "their own" first -- they help the community irregardless of religious affiliation. Jehovah's Witnesses as an organization do not. That's my point. Individually, there are some wonderful Jehovah's Witnesses; as an organization, it's "them" and "us" mentality.

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit