Householder asks JW how much they gave to the Katrina relief effort

by truthseeker 21 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

A friend recently commented to me, that a sister in her congregation had two encounters in field service that caused her embarrassment. First, the sister called on a man. She was offering the Awake magazine on disasters. The man asked how much she gave to the charitable relief efforts. The sister was taken back, and said nothing, but "would you take these magazines because they explain why these disasters were happening." The man slammed the door on her.

A few calls later, the householder asks her what her religion is doing for the relief effort. The sister says she didn’t know the full details, then the householder says that he hasn’t seen Jehovah’s Witnesses listed with all the other religions who are helping out, either in the paper or on the Internet. He too slammed the door on her.

This sister was very upset, she didn’t know what to say.

I don’t blame her, because many of us used to be like her. It’s sad how it takes questions from the householders like those above, to really make someone think about their religion.

• Cady
    Cady

I've been out for several years, so I'm not an apologist for the dubs by any means. However, when I was at the Astrodome, I did see brothers in there looking for other Witnesses. I have to admit, it was the first time in a long time I've had any good feelings towards the Witnesses. I saw people in such dire need and (granted, it would have been great if the dubs had been willing to help others) I know for sure that any Witnesses in there would have been taken care of. Witnesses may be a f***'d up cult, but they do take care of their own in a time of crisis.

• Joker10
    Joker10

The Society has asked all the congregations for help. It is a lie to say they are not helping people and you know it. My congregation sent out $30,000, and another congregation that shares the same hall contributed another $40,000.

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Yeah they are great about "taken care of their own". That's not necessarily Humanitarian tough. Their organization teaches them to care less about "worldly people" unless the show interest or become baptised.

Joker. Do you know of any efforts by JW's to help the people affected by Katrina? Surely this would be a fine opportunity to demonstrate how the organization cares for people. Limiting you "good works" to only JW's is selfish and pathetic. Sadly though this is what the organization advised for the Tsunami disaster as well. Also, by funneling all "disaster relief" donations into the "Worldwide work" fund, the Society successfully limits help to those (non-JW's) in need. It's true, individual JW's sought to help people affected by the Tsumnami, but the Society only delivered funds needed to care for the very few witnesses in the area. I wonder where the rest went?

• Joker10
    Joker10

Willy, you will not know how many Witnesses have personally helped the people of LA and MS unless you go out there and do a survey.

I have personally donated to the Red Cross and look forward for more volunteer work. Witness friends from Texas have offered their homes to Bible interested people and their families, and also to total strangers.

I know you would like to hear otherwise for some reason. Maybe to feed this negativity you've got???

• Cady
    Cady

I agree, it's not right to limit your assistance based on membership status. That being said, at least they were there. I will never forget the things I saw there, nor that many ppl didn't care at all. If you walked in those doors and did more than shake your head and walk back out, you've done more than many.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

You need to tell the sister to cheer up! The JWs were at the Astrodome passing out Watchtowers... and as luck would have it a recent article was about disasters! In fact, the only requirement from the Katrina refugees is a voluntary donation for the World Wide Work.

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Joker,

Individual witnesses are often generous and giving. The Society however doesn't seem to share their enthusiasm when it comes to non-witnesses. And yes I am "negative" after hearing of the shameful lack of response by the Society to the Asian Tsunami, even despite many donations and inquiries on the part of individual witnesses. Why didn't they mount a relief effort? They received money to do so. Was it becuase there were almost no witnesses harmed?

-FW

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

This has been mentioned before, however I'll post it again.

steve

http://www.freeminds.org/wtrelieffund.htm -> Telephone Brooklyn

• HappyDad
    HappyDad
    My congregation sent out $30,000, and another congregation that shares the same hall contributed another $40,000.

I find it very hard to believe this. Most congregations break even at the end of every month. The only way they would have this kind of money would be in their building funds. And..........if they already had a fairly new KH, they would not have much of a building fund at all.

If.......and I say IF, this is true, then the money was sent to Brooklyn for the Worldwide Work. How much of that do you think stayed behind for Brooklyn to use in other ways.

Why can't they show how much was actually spent on disaster relief for fellow JW's and then show the amount of all the extra $$ that was sent to the Red Cross.....where it would benefit their fellow man? When pigs fly!!!

HD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit