Is Michael the Archangel really Jesus?

by twinkletoes 84 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

For years I have believed what the WT says about Michael the archangel really being another name for Jesus Christ. But now I am reading lots of other non-witness books, I am beginning to question this teaching.

Has anyone done any research on this particular subject.

Your comments would be appreciated

thanks

Twink

• blondie
    blondie

Have you done any research on it? This is an old WTS belief going back to Russell's time. Try and find if he was influenced by someone else and how the WTS used this teaching to support other teachings.

Blondie

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Watchtower-1879-November-11,-page 48 says:

"Let all the angels of God worship him; (that must include Michael), the chief angel, hence Michael is not the Son of God)"

If you would like the scan of that Watchtower, I'll send it to you!

Cheers!

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

hi Blondie

Thanks - I have only recently given it some thought, after being in the Witnesses for over 30 years, I'm not really into researching anything myself - says she ashamadly!

We were always told the answers to everything, but now I am reading so much of other people's opinions, that it makes you wonder, just how much you really knew when you were in the Org.

I will have a look at the Search engines. I searched on this site for Michael Archangel, but it only came up with two postings. Neither were relevant.

I'll get back with my research, as soon as I find something interesting.

thanks again

twink

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

Thanks Atlantis for the offer - if it's not too much trouble, I would appreciate a scanned copy. We (husband and I) are collecting info on the witnesses and have a very full lever arch file now, looks like we will soon be onto file no.2

twink

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Awake-2002-Feb-8-p. 16-17 says:

The

Bible’s Viewpoint

Who

Is Michael the Archangel?

ACCORDING to the Bible, there are millions of angelic creatures inhabiting the spirit realm. (Daniel 7:9, 10; Revelation 5:11) From beginning to end, the Scriptures make hundreds of references to the angels that remain loyal to God. Yet, only two of these spirit creatures are mentioned by name. One is the angel Gabriel, who personally delivered messages from God to three different individuals over a period of some 600 years. (Daniel 9:20-22; Luke 1:8-19, 26-28) The other angel mentioned by name in the Bible is Michael.

Michael is clearly an outstanding angel. For example, in the book of Daniel, Michael is described as fighting wicked demons in behalf of Jehovah’s people. (Daniel 10:13; 12:1) In the inspired letter of Jude, Michael confronts Satan in a dispute over Moses’ body. (Jude 9) The book of Revelation shows that Michael wars with Satan and his demons and hurls them out of heaven. (Revelation 12:7-9) No other angel is portrayed as having such great power and authority over God’s enemies. It is no wonder, then, that the Bible appropriately refers to Michael as "the archangel," the prefix "arch" meaning "chief," or "principal."

The

Controversy Over Michael’s Identity

Christendom’s religions, as well as Judaism and Islam, have conflicting ideas on the subject of angels. Some explanations are vague. For instance, The Anchor Bible Dictionary states: "There may be a single superior angel and/or a small group of archangels (usually four or seven)." According to The Imperial Bible-Dictionary, Michael is the "name of a superhuman being, in regard to whom there have in general been two rival opinions, either that he is the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, or that he is one of the so-called seven archangels."

In Jewish tradition these seven archangels are Gabriel, Jeremiel, Michael, Raguel, Raphael, Sariel, and Uriel. On the other hand, Islam believes in four archangels, namely, Jibril, Mikal, Izrail, and Israfil. Catholicism also believes in four archangels: Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, and Uriel. What does the Bible say? Are there several archangels?

The

Bible’s Answer

Aside from Michael, no archangel is mentioned in the Bible, nor do the Scriptures use the term "archangel" in the plural. The Bible describes Michael as the archangel, implying that he alone bears that designation. Hence, it is reasonable to conclude that Jehovah God has delegated to one, and only one, of his heavenly creatures full authority over all other angels.

Aside from the Creator himself, only one faithful person is spoken of as having angels under subjection—namely, Jesus Christ. (Matthew 13:41; 16:27; 24:31) The apostle Paul made specific mention of "the Lord Jesus" and "his powerful angels." (2 Thessalonians 1:7) And Peter described the resurrected Jesus by saying: "He is at God’s right hand, for he went his way to heaven; and angels and authorities and powers were made subject to him."—1 Peter 3:22.

While there is no statement in the Bible that categorically identifies Michael the archangel as Jesus, there is one scripture that links Jesus with the office of archangel. In his letter to the Thessalonians, the apostle Paul prophesied: "The Lord himself will descend from heaven with a commanding call, with an archangel’s voice and with God’s trumpet, and those who are dead in union with Christ will rise first." (1 Thessalonians 4:16) In this scripture Jesus is described as having assumed his power as God’s Messianic King. Yet, he speaks with "an archangel’s voice." Note, too, that he has the power to raise the dead.

While on earth as a human, Jesus performed several resurrections. In doing so, he used his voice to utter commanding calls. For example, when resurrecting the dead son of a widow in the city of Nain, he said: "Young man, I say to you, Get up!" (Luke 7:14, 15) Later, just before resurrecting his friend Lazarus, Jesus "cried out with a loud voice: ‘Lazarus, come on out!’" (John 11:43) But on these occasions, Jesus’ voice was the voice of a perfect man.

After his own resurrection, Jesus was raised to a "superior position" in heaven as a spirit creature. (Philippians 2:9) No longer a human, he has the voice of an archangel. So when God’s trumpet sounded the call for "those who are dead in union with Christ" to be raised to heaven, Jesus issued "a commanding call," this time "with an archangel’s voice." It is reasonable to conclude that only an archangel would call "with an archangel’s voice."

Yes, there are other angelic creatures of high rank, such as seraphs and cherubs. (Genesis 3:24; Isaiah 6:2) Yet, the Scriptures point to the resurrected Jesus Christ as the chief of all angels—Michael the archangel.

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

Thanks Atlantis

I've copied the page and will print it out tomorrow.

I've just been looking on a site called Let us Reason.com, seems to be quite informative.

Twink

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Hi twinkletoes:

I sent you a pm, to find out where you want me to send you this scan of the 1879 Watchtower.

Do you still want it?

pm me, if you still want the scan!

Cheers!

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Atlantis,

Good article and makes sense. There is one point that could be reconsidered however. And that is:

After his own resurrection, Jesus was raised to a "superior position" in heaven as a spirit creature. (Philippians 2:9) No longer a human, he has the voice of an archangel .

This texts simply said: 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

It does not say that this Jesus is no longer a human or that he no longer possesses his human nature. In fact Jesus will use his human nature once again to rule in the promised Kingdom. In this case and at such a time even the human dead will bow their knees as a consequence of their being resurrected of course.

Acts 1:6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? 7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

This "kingdom to Israel" is to be a human kingdom just as the disciples understood after years of training by our Lord. All they had wrong was the time or season when it would become the promised reality. And the name and other things over which God hath highly exalted him are all human. Words such as heaven, and earth are used to depict human government and humanity in general. Could we say then that the name Michael is the real name of the Logos a titled position of someone of importance? I do not have a problem with that even though many put up a howl when this is discussed.

Of all such beings described in scripture only the resurrected “Jesus the Logos of John 1:1” has the right to a dual nature. In generic terms this could be called a hypostasis nature even though Trinitarians have taken this definition a bit too far.

Joseph

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

An easy belief to hold if you don't believe that Jesus is Lord (eg.for jws)

But when the archangel Michael, contending with the devil, disputed about the body of Moses, he did not presume to pronounce a reviling judgment upon him, but said, "The Lord rebuke you."

Without investigation, something tells me that jws probably have extrapolated (in their own minds) and added to that, believing it to be about a dead body, rather than as says.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit