Hiring a JW or not?

by fairchild 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    What would be the reason for not hiring this person? His religious affliation? Illegal. Lack of experience? Legal. Not a good fit? Legal.

It's all in the wording, isn't it?

W

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I'd suggest hiring him. He has as much right to work there as anyone else. I would imagine that his brother would have let him know what type of environment the workplace is, and if not, he'll find out soon enough and make his on decision regarding working there or not.

If he finds it undesirable to stay there, he could transfer to the girly section (if/when a position comes up), or leave. But it's up to him.

Kwin

• fairchild
    fairchild
    Wow, reading this reminds me of the four years I worked in the restaurant industry. The majority of everyone cussed like sailors, did drugs, and drank on a daily and nightly basis. People wouldn't call in sick, they just wouldn't show up. So the hungover people that did come in had to cover the other person's shifts. Stress and yelling were common place and every few nights someone would just walk out in the middle of their shift.

This is such an accurate description of the restaurant industry. It made me smile. We always get nervous when someone is late for work, because you can't help thinking that perhaps they won't show. As for the walking out.. I wonder if times are changing. People used to walk out, yelling and screaming, knocking a bunch of plates down on their way out.. but the last 3 I've seen walk out (all within the past 5 weeks), walked out ever so quietly. We didn't know that they were gone until we saw the empty spot in the section they had been working.

You're hiring an employee not a partymate.

Someone does not get hired on basis of how much they can drink and how many lines they can snort, they get hired either on basis of their qualifications and past experience, or they get hired because they show willingness to learn, or because they have a good reference from a previous job. If not being willing to party had any bearing on a decision whether someone should get hired or not, I would never have gotten a job there. I am notoriously known in this area for my fight against drugs and alcohol.

• undercover
    undercover
    What would be the reason for not hiring this person? His religious affliation? Illegal. Lack of experience? Legal. Not a good fit? Legal.

It's all in the wording, isn't it?

It is...but if someone can prove that they didn't get hired because it was said that, "Well, the applicant is (enter religious affliation here) and they don't cuss or drink and they might be offended, so let's not hire them..." they would have a good chance at winning a lawsuit as opposed to if it was said, "Well, they seem shy and timid...they may not fit in so well with our boistrous and fun-loving atmosphere..."

Someone does not get hired on basis of how much they can drink and how many lines they can snort, they get hired either on basis of their qualifications and past experience, or they get hired because they show willingness to learn, or because they have a good reference from a previous job. If not being willing to party had any bearing on a decision whether someone should get hired or not, I would never have gotten a job there. I am notoriously known in this area for my fight against drugs and alcohol.

Exactly the way it should be. But worrying about their religious connection and knowing the potential prudishness of the applicant could get you in hot water. But the name of the thread is "hiring a JW or not"...which means that the religious affliation of the applicant if being taken into account, which it should not be.

• Rooster
    Rooster

Some of the worst sub-contractor's we have encountered on our projects are confessed JW's. On the latest, our electrian has told us more stories about way he can't be at the job the days he said he would be....:-( Don't hire anyone because they say there are a jw. Hire a qualified contractor.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    It is...but if someone can prove that they didn't get hired because it was said that, "Well, the applicant is (enter religious affliation here) and they don't cuss or drink and they might be offended, so let's not hire them..." they would have a good chance at winning a lawsuit as opposed to if it was said, "Well, they seem shy and timid...they may not fit in so well with our boistrous and fun-loving atmosphere..."

That's what common sense would tell you, but that's not what the law says. An employer is free not to hire someone for any reason or no reason at all, except if it is due to race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or being middle aged. Personality is a valid reason not to hire someone, and the EEOC would never let the case get to a lawsuit, saving the employer lots of $$ defending themselves. Not hiring someone because of religious affiliation would probably advance to a lawsuit. Even if it was lost, the employer would have to pay a lawyer to defend themselves, and get some bad publicity to boot.

Saying the person has indicated they are offended by cussing is another perfectly legal reason not to hire someone.

Back to the cussing, I agree it is difficult/unnecessary to eliminate swearing. However, what you described goes way beyond swearing.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

fairchild: i wouldn't hire anyone that would shun me in the first place. second for get a nice easy job working with the waiters. i never gotr that job and i worked in kitchens for 15 years. throw him right into the kitchen and let him wash dishes. and let him learn how it feels to cut your fiongers every day chopping lettuce or garlic. all young kids start in the kitchen. tthat how i learned how to cook . etc. and be fast. john

• fairchild
    fairchild
    But worrying about their religious connection and knowing the potential prudishness of the applicant could get you in hot water. But the name of the thread is "hiring a JW or not"...which means that the religious affliation of the applicant if being taken into account, which it should not be.

That is why his application was moved to the girl's section. They have no problem with the fact that someone is a JW (his brother has a job there after all, and he is a JW as well). As people have mentioned lawsuits here, such wouldn't fly, it wouldn't look good if a place would be sued for not hiring a JW while they already have a JW among their employees. If I had titled this thread "Hiring a timid boy with high moral standards", I wonder how different the reactions would have been. But one way or the other, my guess is that he will be hired very soon. We are about to go into leaf peak, which is about the craziest period of the entire year. After the first weekend of leaf peak, at least 25% of the staff will fall off, unable to deal with the craziness. With the turnover of employees being so high, most people I work with were hired AFTER last year's leaf peak, and they are still blissfully unaware of what's coming their way. Ouch.

i wouldn't hire anyone that would shun me in the first place

LOL, at the time, I had no idea that the JWs were shunning me. It wasn't until I had said "hi" to his brother when I saw him around at work, and he didn't say anything back, that I was starting to wonder. After all, I left but was never baptized. At night when the orders for the employee dinners come in, I cook his food just like I cook everyone else's food. When his name is called to pick up his food, I've noticed that often, someone else will come in the kitchen and pick it up for him.

And here is a question for you guys.. so it is clear that an employer cannot refuse to hire a person because of his or her religion. But what if this person says that he or she cannot work on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays? Especially in the restaurant business, nights and weekends are times when they need most of their staff. How does that work I wonder? I have to admit that I have seen the JW boy working on Tuesday nights. How does he justify that with his parents?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit