Hiring a JW or not?

by fairchild 37 Replies latest jw friends

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Do you work in a prison or something?

Honestly though, the type of people you describe are common in virtually any non-college level job. I work around a bunch of electricians (who claim to be the more educated of the tradespeople), and their a bunch of potty mouths too.

Hire him. If he can't handle the real world, maybe the WTS will pay his bills.

Seriously though, what do you do for work?

• fairchild
    fairchild
    Say No to hiring this poor kid. God knows he's got enough problems as it is by the sounds of it. Ask your boss if he can reconsider him when he's got a place going in the 'girls dept.' I think he would be just too traumatised as would any kid who's not used to vulgarity and perhaps really scared!

Actually, this is exactly what I did. I made sure that his application was moved to the "hire first" stack in the girl's section. I highly recommended him by the girl's manager. As soon as a position comes available in that section, he will be hired there and work with his brother. jeeprube, I work at a huge restaurant which employs a total of about 70 workers. We serve about a thousand dinners a day. The "girl's section" is the dining room, they have no waiters, only waitresses. Everyone is female in the dining room, except for two bus boys and one of the bar tenders. In the kitchen, just about everyone is male, except for myself and one of the bakers. Strange enough, I am one of the 3 lead chefs and have to keep this bunch of savages under control. I am no more than 5 feet tall, barely 90 pounds, but they'll think twice before they mess with me.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Yes, I'm curious too! What is it that you do do? (To quote Madeleine Kahn in "Young Frankenstein.") I would definitely hire this man based on his qualifications and not on the workplace environment; otherwise you'd be guilty of discrimination, however well-intentioned you are. However, I would strongly urge the managers to consider what kind of lawsuits they could be letting themselves in for if that kind of working condition continues.

Good luck!

Nina

• fairchild
    fairchild

Hi nina, oops, we cross posted. I think he'll be hired soon now that his application is on top of the list for the girl's section. Chances are it will only be a matter of days. The turnover of employees is so amazing, I see new people every week.

As for the work conditions, we haven't been all that lucky this summer. It used to be a lot better when I first started working there. Some people who were hired this summer just really gave me the creeps. As business slows down a lot after Columbus day, the new ones usually get laid off and don't come back the next year, so only another month and we will be back to our old crew. I can't wait, to be honest.

• steve2
    steve2
    Oh, and it is not just about filthy language, you have NO idea. It really is not a good environment. Alcohol and drugs are rampant as well, and if you're not part of the heavy partying, they'll make your life so miserable you'll end up quitting anyways

Wouldn't this constitute work-place harrassment and doesn't your country have legislation that protects any worker, JW or not, from this. Hell, if I worked in an environment like this, I wouldn't be putting up with this kind of conduct - and I'm no prude!

I disagree with others who have suggested you recommend the JW not be hired. Talk about work-place discrimination!

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

Would it be possible to forewarn this young man of the conditions he would be working in. then at least he could make up his own mind?

Twink

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Working in an environment not to different to what you described is what helped me get out of the JW religon.

My colleagues and bosses swore like troopers, they all took drugs and partied together. For some reason they seemed to like me which was very different to how I was treated in the congregation. I grew to get to know those people and found that despite these extreme behaviours they were my friends. I felt confident to step out into the real world and new that if I could make it with these people I could DEFINATELY make it on my own.

It depends on your personality. When I landed in the deep end - I swam!

• steve2
    steve2
    It depends on your personality. When I landed in the deep end - I swam!

I think I'm that kind of person as well: I pretty much survived the tough work environment I first worked in.. But I am concerned about more vulnerable people being subjected to this kind of work environment and am a champion of work-place harassment legislation.

• fairchild
    fairchild
    Would it be possible to forewarn this young man of the conditions he would be working in

Um, I definitely would, if they didn't shun me. But it is tough to go talk to someone, knowing that they will feel uncomfortable, because they are supposed to shun you. But as he will be hired in the girl's section soon, there should not be a problem. The girl's and the boy's section are two completely different worlds. He will be patted on the back for his good looks, and they will fall over each other, trying to make him feel comfortable. The younger ones will ask him to go on a date (he is quite good looking), and the older ones will "mother" him. Problem solved.

Sigh, I just came home from another day at work. Totally understaffed. People don't call in sick, they call in "drunk" these days.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I would never knowingly hire a JW. I have 2 reasons.

1. Most JWs I knew had a very poor work ethic. They are notorious for cutting corners.
    2. By hiring a JW I am giving him the means to contribute money to a cult I am opposed to. I cannot do that in good conscience.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit