Getting rid of fruit flies

by sonnyboy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• under74
    under74
    under74, I was only kidding. I know that it is a personal thing, not a guy thing.

i gotcha

• sandy
    sandy

I have been annoyed with these flies all summer. I wish I had though of posting here. I looked around Wal-Mart for traps as well but never found anything.

I will not kill most insects that get in the house. I'll catch them and put them outside and spare their little lives if possible. Sometimes though when the ants are too bad I'll have to kill them. But I'll usually spare some of their lives. LOL

Except for roaches, flies and fruit flies I kill those little annoying creatures. LOL

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

We had the problem really bad last year. So I hung Fly Paper above where we kept our fruit. When I brought the fruit home I made sure to wash it in a mild bleach water (only pealable fruit - not berries - which are kept in the fridge) The combo of washing and fly paper worked well enough until fall came. They seemed to like the bananas the best, and I wouldn't be surprised if I broght them in on the bananas.

I like the ideal of sugar water/wine in a saran wrapped bowl with holes. I'll try that next time I have problems.

In Hawaii one restaurant uses slices of ginger in water on their outdoor tables. That seemed to work too.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Have heard of putting a cup of cider vinegar away from the room you're in; they'll supposedly go in the cup and die.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Maybe they're not biting, but they're running into me a lot which is irritating and makes me feel itchy.

I don't notice as many since I scrubbed up the kitchen, but I'll try some of your ideas to get rid of the rest. I think they were attracted to my brother's collection of beer cans.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Primarily they come from bananas - so just boil them as soon as you bring them home from the store.

• joelbear
    joelbear

get some right wing flies to run them out of town.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    get some right wing flies to run them out of town.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Hell, you can build your own trap for just a few dollars...

Get a Computer Case Fan:

And a pair of Panty Hose or a Stocking.

Sheer Back Seam Stocking Queen Size

Cut off one of the Panty Hose legs (or just open the end of the Stocking) and put the fan snuggly in the leg opening so that the fan is on top and the panty hose hangs down like a bag. Put a piece of fruit on the fan as bait and turn the fan on. Any fruit fly that goes near it will get sucked down into the panty hose and trapped.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Well, I think I've finally found a solution.

I put a cup of cider vinegar with a few drops of dish soap in my sun room. A few hours later, the glass was filled with fruit flies, and there were hardly any left in the main house.

I'm so relieved! I feel as if I've been cured of a plague. I'll have to remember to do this every summer since I always get these little buggers during warm weather.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit