did you escape BEFORE baptism?

by kid-A 31 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

I could go on about this forever, but I don't want to bore people......

It really isn't boring. When I think back to being in the dubs I remember seeing kids who must have been going through what you were going through. How terrible it must be not be able to confide in anyone. There is probably some young jw reading what you said thinking that is how I feel.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I can only imagine the pressure to get baptized after being born into it. I say this because I think about the pressure that I was going to put on my children every single day of their life until "they" made the decision to get dipped. ((((hugs)))) to all of you.

This goes for you lurkers, too!

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

My wife's sister and brother made it through without being baptized. We are happy for that.

Me and her ... not so fortunate. We were both the oldest kids in our respective families and thus "did what we were supposed to" and "set the example" for our younger siblings.

Dammit.

-ithinkisee

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I just couldnt do it. I watched people I grew up with do it, watched my father's mother and father do it. I just couldnt. I felt that if I was going to dedicate my life like that I had to really believe in it and I never did - not (jwism warning) wholeheartedly. For a long time I thought something was wrong with me. That I was lower than dirt because I didnt have this feeling to dedicated my life to jehovah and the society. But looking back I am so glad my sense of personal integrity stopped me from making what could have been the biggest mistake of my life. And I really feel for those who did get baptised and now regret it. I really do because it really makes me mad that those who did and have left are being shunned by family and so-called friends. Makes me want to bitch slap them all.

Josie

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"Born into it from day one but never took the plunge."

Put me on that list, too. Smooching the worldly honey's was too much fun.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I escaped without baptism.

That is the only thing I got right.

It took nearly 30yrs to wake up that I had done the right thing.

By that time time I had made some serious errors of judgement that I, and my family, will be paying for for a long time to come.

I can only imagine the pressure to get baptized after being born into it.

There was no pressure on me, despite dad being the P.O., because they knew how much I hated it. My rebellion was so extreme that my parents felt blessed at the mere fact that I didn't end up in prison. They knew baptism was nothing more than a pipe dream for them.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I had no desire to get baptized.

The main reason for me was that there are too many requirements for baptism, and I thought something was seriously wrong with that. Who are they to decide when I'm ready to be baptized?

A scary cult, this is.

• Chia
    Chia

Unfortunately I did not. I still don't think it would've solved anything as far as my mom was concerned though, she's the most pigheaded woman I've ever met in my life.

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Yup. Born into it and avoided the big dunk, although the pressure got hairy-er from about 13 on...fortunately, I was such a wild child by 16 that they stopped asking. The good news is that I'm only partially shunned. The bad news is that I'm only partially shunned.

Jankyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit