Low Low Low Self Esteem

by joelbear 30 Replies latest jw friends

• fairchild
    fairchild
    I loved that you know how many board games you have in your collection.... 125!! And I bet you know how to play every single one.

Do you play chess? I always found that playing some games of chess against the computer helped me through some low times in my life. It was a way to forget about the outside world for hours on end. Good luck

• Es
    Es

hugs Joelbear, i know how you feel, at times im so lost as to what to do with my life too. Its like something is missing and im still not quite sure what it is. The best thing to do is take one day and a time.

With the low self esteem you kinda answere your own question with finding what gives you fullfillment, what makes you happy. You will find your confidence slowly building up again.

All the best

es

• flower
    flower

If you are truly ready and committed to making a change in the way you think about yourself and ready to make the commitment to getting over problems with depression and anxiety, I highly suggest picking up Lucinda Bassetts program "Attacking Anxiety and Depression" and finding a local therapist-led support group to go through the program with. Its well worth the $400 dollar and 16 week investment. You'll come out of the program with a whole new self image.

good luck

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

That's a good suggestion, Flower. My father got that for me, and it's definitely helped with the worst of anxiety and panic attacks. Lucinda rocks.....love the relaxation stuff. Joel, check your private inbox in an hour or so.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Sometimes depression can get you in to thinking that you don't believe you've done ANYTHING right. It seems lots of people here can list your accomplishments. What they are saying is the reality, not what you are feeling right now. To rule out the possibility of clinical depression, see your doctor.

Self esteem is one of those treasures that shows up when you are not searching for it. The fastest way is to stop introverting and go do something for others. Like other posters have suggested, join a community project or get a dog.

I live by destiny. The best advice I ever received:.

1. What did you LOVE doing as a child?

2. What is your PASSION now?

Between the answers to these two questions lies your destiny.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Joel, I have no fancy suggestions. All I can say is thank you for your generosity and friendship for some 8 years, and know this, that I think and speak highly of you often. Do your ears buzz alot? That's coming from me. :)

• chrissy
    chrissy

aw, cheer up, joelbear. im having a shitty day too. but im sure it will pass if you keep your efforts up, so dont let it spoil your self esteem. forget about your past and realize that you are not tied to it and each day forward you are joelbear, newly confident and lucky to be alive.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

(((((((((joelbear))))))))))

I'm not going to give you advice, there's plenty been said here thats good. I just want you to know that you are awesome and send you this little cyberhug. Anytime you want or need someone to talk with you can PM me.

Blessings!

Sherry

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Joel..........missed you. I've been away for a while. Living life. On this board you made a great impression on me. Is it possible to feel close to someone through a keyboard? Yes......

No advice...I'm still trying to reach up. Just don't go away. PM me if you want.

April

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Hey you big teddy bear. All the smart and clever ideas have probably already been hashed; but here are a few of my thoughts and brain farts.

No guilt. Not for anything. It is acceptable for you to feel what ever you are feeling. Are you feeling sort of apathetic? Then just go with it for a bit. No guilt over not doing what you "should" or what others' want you to.

Are you angry? Then explore it. Why or what are you angry about? Westerners are so afraid of their "negative" emotions, they are "unclean" or "dirty", and we try to hide from them. Confront them, explore them, maybe even embrace them.

I have in the past, and even now, sometimes have ideations or "fantasies" of dieing, of opting out of the great game of life. What used to hold me back is the knowing that my action to do so, would hurt friends and family, and they wouldn't understand why I did what I did.

Now what holds me back is my belief that I chose to be born to confront the very issues that are in my path. If I chose to opt out, I would not be solving anything, and perhaps just making my situation worse.

As for building self esteem, that is the slow tricky thing. What I do is think of my actions and acomplishments (or what ever) and create in my imagination a person who although a blank template, has accomplished those things too. I then think about how I would view that person, would I want to meet him, would I even like him, would I want to be like him,...? I then keep those thoughts and feelings at the forefront of my mind, and slowly fade the imaginary person into being an image of me.

To actively do these things is not hard, but it would be facilitated by having a time for meditation or just calm quietude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit