A stranger (JW) called me

by Rayvin 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

I got a message on my machine from some lady. She says "HI.. this is ' ' I was just calling to see how you are doing. I know you don't know me. I go to ' local congo'. I wanted to make a visit. I was given your ph # and was excited about calling you. I hope you call me my number is ' ' and have a great evening. "

This bothers me. Someone either in the congo that knows us or an elder gave someone our ph# without asking us if its okay.

What should I do? Call her and ask her to dinner? lol (since hubby is DFd i wonder what she would say)

I can't really out myself to her since family of hubby goes there and we are trying not to stir the family pot.

I really want to know who gave out my # though.. even just to tell them to NEVER give out someones ph# without thier permission.

• Scully
    Scully

You could call back, since they are "excited" about having a chance to talk to you, and you could say you appreciate the concern and want to thank the person who passed along your phone number and would they mind telling you where they got it?

Once you know, say "Thank you very much. If I hear from you again, I will be having you charged with harassment and stalking. I have your name, phone number and address." Then hang up.

Then you call whomever it was that gave out your phone number, and tell them that if they ever have another JW call to harass you like that again, you will be having them charged with harassment. Tell them that your phone number is confidential information and you do not appreciate it being circulated to perfect strangers. You know where the Kingdom Hall is and how to get in touch with the congregation IF you ever wanted to do so.

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

yea.. but i don't know where she lives..lol

only where she practices hypocrisy.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

It could be that this person is doing 'phone witnessing'.... the new big thing with the JWs. If you live in an area that isn't easily accessable (a locked apartment building, a private condo association, a gated community) then I would definately say that's it.

If you don't want them to call you again, I would definately tell them to put you on their Do Not Call list. They are supposed to have one, and respect people's wishes.

GGG

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

What should you do?

I wouldn't return the call.

DY

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yep, pretend like you never got the call. Tthe first person who asks you if you heard from sister so-and-so may be the one who set you up.

• Scully
    Scully
    yea.. but i don't know where she lives..lol

Try doing a Reverse Lookup with the phone # that was given for you to call back.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

You can either call back or not call back...but if you do call back, tell her your number is registered on the Do Not Call List Registry, and would appreciate it if she were to notify the powers that be, so you are not called again by a complete stranger.

I wouldn't get all huffy and threaten suing someone for harrassment until it got to that point. Why give them any ammunition?

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

........Have your husband do his wavey thing to her...........

......that ought to take care of the matter.....

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

ya know.. i wouldn't mind calling her back and saying how I would like to get a copy of the up to date watchtower and awakes. Since i am choosing to 'study' at home for ease of understanding. Since going to the meetings w/ 3 kids makes it almost impossible to really listen and understand the goings on. -- But really needing the WT to see whats going on with JWs so I can better talk w/ family and help them slowly see the problems they are now blind to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit