The Extremely Rich, What do they do with it?

by joelbear 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    The Extremely Rich, What do they do with it?

Anything they want.

• Preston
    Preston

As Lewis Black said...

Hire your own personal ball(s) washer, and pay them good benefits! So when all of your rich friends stop by and they ask, "Who's that?" all you need to say is "He (or she) is my own.... personal...... ball(s) washer....and what did you buy with your money?...ANOTHER CAR?!?!?!? HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!"

- Preston

• upside/down
    upside/down

Wives people...WIVES!!!

.....my wife could bankrupt Bill Gates...quickly.

nuff said.

u/d

• trevor
    trevor

It’s what they don’t have to do that is so great:

Fly with Easy jet

Check price labels before they buy clothes

Eat yesterdays food

Drink cheap Champagne

But cars with small engines

Drive themselves

Go out with ugly women (oops!)

Go on package holidays

Live in a terraced house or cramp apartment

Queue

Work

Suck up to people

Give a dam!

• joelbear
    joelbear

i like the balls washer idea.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    i like the balls washer idea.

LOL! You would Joel. But could it be a "she"?

• joelbear
    joelbear

i guarantee you my ball washer would not be no icky girl, i'm thinking Sean Astin or that cute guy from Home Improvement, Al something

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Terry...you've given a very good depiction of the difference. I live in a well-monied neighborhood, as I go to a big university next door, and lived with a student's income while knowing a lot of very well-off people. Most of them can afford to own their own homes (which are pretty junky homes to begin with, but because of real estate prices it costs a fortune to own them), plan their futures, and provide for their families without struggling paycheck to paycheck. The most striking thing is that they don't live like they're rich yuppies, or the stereotype of multi-millionaires (even if they are multi-millionaires). They still penny-pinch, go out of their way to find a good deal between Safeway or Albertsons, just as I would on my meagre student's income. The people who do show off their money in big ways are more often (tho not always) those who generally don't have much money and use it socially to construct for themselves a "wealthy" veneer and unfortunately blow the money on big showy things like cars or parties and what not. I think too not just of the lower class but also those twentysomething dot-commers who prolly came from middle-class backgrounds and got suddenly wildly rich, only to blow the dough on "starter castles" and limosines and private jets only to see their wealth evaporate when their dot coms turned into dot bombs.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    The people who do show off their money in big ways are more often (tho not always) those who generally don't have much money and use it socially to construct for themselves a "wealthy" veneer and unfortunately blow the money on big showy things like cars or parties and what not. I think too not just of the lower class but also those twentysomething dot-commers who prolly came from middle-class backgrounds and got suddenly wildly rich, only to blow the dough on "starter castles" and limosines and private jets only to see their wealth evaporate when their dot coms turned into dot bombs.

I had a boss once who was VERY comfortable. (Wealthy in my eyes - LOL!) He said the neighborhood he lived in (Frisco, TX) was full of new money and people that didn't know how to manage it. He said if you slowly drove by many of the homes, there is no furniture in some of the front rooms, simply because they couldn't afford to furnish it. He told me of his neighbor who wanted a mural for her family room painted. When she called the painter for an estimate, he quoted around $350 but he didn't take credit cards. She said she couldn't afford it unless she could put it on a card, so she didn't get her mural. This was coming from a woman who lived in a $400,000 home and drove a Lexus SUV, while her teenage kid drove a BMW. And she couldn't afford a $350 mural? I don't get it. *shaking head*

I've always though "old" money was very different from "new" money. Being in the interior design business, even on a part-time basis, has shown me how badly people live beyond their means to keep up that facade. Ridiculous.

• bebu
    bebu

LOL at

"Buy a boat!"

bebu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit