Diet Suggestions

by I quit! 21 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

I've reached critcal mass. All my clothes are tight. Since the spring I have had a series of injuries that have kept me from exercising. I didn't change my eating habits so I gained weight. I'm back exercising now but it will take a long time to get the weight off if I don't diet. I am confused about what diet I want to go on. I would appreciate any suggestions. Let me know what has worked for you. Slim Fast and things like that wreak havoc on my blood sugar so I can't go that way.

• damselfly
    damselfly

Good for you to avoid Slimfast etc! Try cutting out refined and overly processed foods, replace them with whole grains. Lots of fresh water to drink, increase fruits, veggies and proteins. If you have protein and good fat with every meal you will feel fuller faster and for longer.

Best of luck!

Dams

• thom
    thom

I'm one of those people that is told "You can eat whatever you want and never gain weight". Well, I've always figured maybe it's WHAT I eat and not how much I eat. I eat lots of vegetables, beans, soups and oatmeal. I don't eat much deserts or fast food at all. Never have. Seems to work for me.
    My daughter was getting quite heavy when I was still married. My wife brought home lots of fast food and ate lots of ice cream and those types of things, she didn't like the food I ate. Since she left, my daughter has grown about 5 inches in height and weighs about 10 pounds less than she did 2 years ago. That sort of reinforced to me that the right foods was the key, not how much food.
    Just my observation. Of course I could be wrong, it's happened before...

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Try googling......."Saving Dinner The Low Carb Way" by Leanne Ely.

It works! Any "low carb" diet works for me and I am not hungry. There are tons of other low carb recipes online too. On the Food Network, there is a chef who lost over 200 pounds the low carb way.

However.......I have an occasional addiction to mashed potatoes and gravy over meatloaf accompanied by rolls and butter and lots of corn. Guess it kind of counteracts my previous week of the low carb stuff.

Stay away from Atkins if you value your future health.

HappyDad

• love11
    love11

Don't diet, change your lifestyle!

Drink more than you eat. (about a gallon a day of water)

Cut pop and sugary drinks out of your life, slowly whine yourself off of it.

Only drink water and green tea. (iced, hot, sun tea, etc,.)

And make exercise, no matter how small, be a regular routine for you. (As regular as going to the bathroom)

Find an exercise routine that is so fun you don't realize that you are exercising. (Like swimming, dancing, bicycling, walking your dog, running to the store for a cool pop, walk the mall a few times,etc)

Avoid tv until certain times of the day as a reward not your days tasks.

And no matter how much pain you are in- move that body like a battery that needs recharged.

Do a colon cleansing every so often.

And live like this for the rest of your life and it won't be a diet.

Hope that helps!

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Don't go on any diet. They don't work in the long run.

Eat much less and move a little more. You'll be just fine in time.

DY

• ballistic
    ballistic

I lost nearly a third of my body weight in a year and a half. If we're talking about excess weight that you've put on in recent life and we're not talking about making you as thin as a stick - it is easy. Here's how I did it...

Forget all fad diets, books and stuff like that. Learn the basics about what food contains, i.e. fats, carbs, protein and which foods are high or low calorie. I did this using google and looking up things like calorie counters.

Then using a yard stick that I was going to allow myself 2000 calories a day, I thought about how I could adjust each element of my diet on the premise that "every little helps".

Firstly, I switched to low calorie soda drinks, and dropped suggar from my coffee, next I stopped drinking beer and switched to wine spritzers. I stopped going to a restaurant for lunch and took sandwhiches, and tried not to fill them with cheese all the time. Main meals I worked on the basis I could eat as much vegetables as I wanted and not go hungry and cut down on the carbs.

To be honest, I lost the weight too quick, my muscles wasted away and I had to later join a gym to build them back up again. I also had to start re-introducing things like fruit juices and so on back into my diet when I reached my target to stop me loosing weight. But I still eat healthily - becuase... I changed my lifestyle and my way of thinking rather than "going on a diet".

• jgnat
    jgnat

For someone with glucose intolerance or diabetes, the key is balanced eating, don't skip snacks. I would not recommend low-carb/Atkins for a diabetic. I am a snacker. Diets slay me. My dietician suggested I make up little baggies (snack size) with healthy things like veggies (always good) or popcorn (not so good for GI). I keep them handy when my craving hits.

There's the Glycemic Index (GI) diet, which helps you make sure there's enough fibre in your diet to process your carbohydrates properly. http://www.gidiet.com/

....and a low fat diet can't hurt. http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/dga/dga95/lowfat.html

The best illustration I ever got on balanced eating is one my doctor drew for me. Now I balance my portions on my plate to match the diagram. No charts, indexes, recording, bla bla bla. Very easy to remember.

http://www.bmesonline.org.uk/pdf/gettingthebalanceright.pdf

Another great restaurant tip if I could just get the waiters of the world to LISTEN to me, is to ask for half your meal to be doggie bagged BEFORE it is presented me. Temptation is out of sight. I tried a compromise the other day and it worked wonders. I rolled my eyes fetchingly at the waitress, told her I was on a "restricted diet" and could she please HOLD THE GARLIC TOAST out of sight? The girl was all sympathy as she glanced discreetly at my corpulent form. She was all helps that night.

• Sirona
    Sirona

I think that low-carbohydrate is good as long as you do it within reason. Make sure you get enough carbs but just cut out refined sugars and too much carbs in pasta and bread.

I just lost 10lbs in 6 weeks just doing that.

My diet is (bear in mind, this is whilst losing weight, after that you can bring in more carbs): Breakfast: bacon with fat cut off and grilled with an egg (or alternatively, certain fruits which are not too carby, or a carb cereal bar, or an omelette etc.)

Lunch, salad with all salad greens, tomato, cucumber, red onion, peppers, salmon (a can of) and cottage cheese (or I've had occasionally a low carb ready salad which is like an italian sauce salad with tuna etc., or a home made cottage pie with cauliflower instead of potatoes and all other ingredients are the same, or a stew made with meat and veggies but without potato, or any cooked meal with meat and veggies but no potatoes)

Dinner: chicken (medium portion) with brocolli, cauliflower and carrots, with gravy ( or any meat with veggies. or curry without rice if you count the carbs, or any meat and sauce without rice or bread or potatoes), When you get good at low carb cooking you can even make low carb pizza!

Snacks (choose from): almonds, mini-cheeses (lower fat the better), raspberries, strawberries (and cream if you want!), pepperami, or low carb treats you can buy like carb bars (but used in moderation).

Overall you avoid pasta, rice, potatoes, bread and refined sugar in any form. Don't overdo the meats but do overdo the vegetables and salad. I always take calcium and multivitamins aswell. The potatoes can be introduced gradually so they are allowed as long as they're counted. The pasta can be bought as low carb pasta.

The biggest critisism of low carbing is that the person eats lots of fat. I low carb without doing so, even though I eat more fat than if I was attempting a low fat diet. I still opt for lower fat options and cut all fat off my food.

At the moment this is a short term thing, however I will be careful introducing the carbs or I do realise that I will just put the weight back on.

Sirona

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

I agree with the Low Carb way! I lost almost 40 pounds, easily in a year. Not easy at first, but after 2-3 weeks I felt so much better and got used to it. Keep it simple, don't stress over it, but try it for awhile and see what you think. Eat lots of salads, fresh veggies...drink lots of water. And walk or exercise at least 15 min a day to start, try to increase when you can but don't quit if you miss a day or two! Let us know what you do and how it works. Good luck,

AuntieJane

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit