Questions for Jgnat

by Shining One 151 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bebu
    bebu

1 Cor 8:1 We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. 2 The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. 3 But the man who loves God is known by God.

Shining, IMO, anyone who truly finds God and loves Him is not frantic or pedantic (see above) as you are proving to be. Love casts out fear. Love has a gentle humility. You have got it "all worked out", you think, but it is on paper; you haven't quite caught it in real life.

bebu

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

anyways, i find it rather infantile of you and rex sticking up for a radical jewish bi-sexual who probably never even existed.

it's Paul you should be worshiping.

TS

• Shining One
    Shining One

Quentin,
    You still don't get it. You are just repeating what you assume is correct. No particular Christian denomination sets the rules governing scripture interpretation. The rules come from the scholarship that has been established over 2000 years. Just like we see so many of the sciences advancing, we see the same with the Biblical interpretation rules. You see this in action more than you think. People here use those rules when they take the time to analyze the falsehoods of the WBTS.
    Rex

• Shining One
    Shining One

Hello Iggie,

You said:
    >My foundation is the ROCK, CHRIST. I use the bible as a guide, but it is smaller than CHRIST and not to be worshipped. Any instruction in the bible must first pass the Law of Love test. OSO, you DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION to redraw my diagram, as I speak best for my own perception.

No, you are already 'redrawn' by your own reasoning. The 'Law of Love' is for us and does not overule any of God's attributes. God is love! It doesn't end there. God is holy, mercy, grace, wisdom, joy, peace, wrath, vengeance, anger, jealousy and the list goes on. Each emotion that we have is ever perfected and magnified in the Godhead. I am pointing out the contextual pillaging that you are guilty of.

>Now, how do we use the diagrams? Those who would challenge our beliefs will naturally attack the foundation. All an athiest/agnostic has to do to challenge OSO's beliefs is attack the bible.

The Bible is the basis for all known truth about God in the FIRST PLACE. Without it, you have no solid foundation to begin with. You have no 'law of love', no 'law and the prophets', no Jesus! You do not have the authority to question the infallibility of scripture. You are putting yourself on the throne and standing in judgment of God. The Bible is a weapon, not a defense!

>We can also challenge our own beliefs, to make sure they stand up to scrutiny. For instance, how different would be the result be for a parent who asks, "Should I shun my child for sin?" On JGnat Foundation vs O-Shinning-One Foundation?

There you go again, you cannot place JWs in the category of Christianity, they are in the category of 'cult'.

>As before, I'll reply to specifics later.

The specific has been layed before you again and again. You do not answer except in arrogance and the wild notion that you are somehow too clever for me. You are refusing to be honest and admit that your Jesus is one that you have made up.
    Rex

• Shining One
    Shining One

Jesus rejected no portion of scripture, He fulfilled it. He rejected the pharisee's and scribes' wild interpretations of the law. Didn't you learn anything as a JW, Tetly?
    Rex

• Shining One
    Shining One

Hey Tetly,
    I see that you and Gnat are both from Canada. That's just a bigger, emptier version of western Europe, right? Are YOu two seeing each other or is she actually a 'troll' of you, the female side of your own personality? LOL
    Rex

• jgnat
    jgnat

ME: All-or-part? WHY CAN’T I accept the existence of a historical Jesus, the survival of his teachings to present day, for the most part intact, AND refuse divinity to the bible? I don’t have to accept all to accept a part. I forgot if I mentioned this before. A Christian brought me the good news. I accepted Jesus as my savior. The bible came later. So the bible is not the ROOT or the SOURCE of my faith.

ME: You have already admitted that you selectively interpret scripture based on context and history.
    OSO: Again, this is another deflection. There are standards we use: acceptable rules governing hermeneutics‘, which is the interpretation of scripture. You must study each text and see how scripture itself interprets the text, look at the type of writing it is, who it was written to, who it was written by, ask questions like; is it literally acceptable or do we have a parable or metaphor that speaks of a specific teaching, and so on and so forth. Any first year seminary student learns this and you claim to be able to argue scripture?
    ME: So you are saying that my selection of scripture based on the two laws that Jesus said sums up ALL THE LAW OF THE PROPHETS, is inferior to yours? Why should I substitute the divine for a man-made construction?

OSO: "Side with bible-bashers"…Oh let us see. AlanF and his tirades against belief in God seems to be a fairly recent example…
    ME: AlanF by comparison is a compassionate man who includes rather than excludes. He and I may have different beliefs, but at the core there is a rationalism and a desire for justice that I find compelling. I would much rather spend my time, in person, with him, than with you.

ME: Here is another other bible command that we no longer follow today. Slaves be Obedient to your Masters Eph 6:5 Would Paul have predicted that slavery would be abolished?
    OSO: Paul did not condemn it. What Paul 'would have done' is not dealt with in the text or other scripture. Stay within the limits of the scripture in question.
    ME: So if Paul is silent about a modern issue, we can do whatever we want? What of the PRINCIPLE, that slaves are to be obedient to their masters? Has this PRINCIPLE weathered the tests of time?

ME: By what criteria have you decided that obeying these bible commends are evidence of cult-like obedience, yet other bible requirements are mandatory?
    OSO: The context, context, context. How many times must you hear it?
    ME: So do I. So we are in agreement then.

OSO: The 'Law of Love' is for us and does not overule any of God's attributes. God is love! It doesn't end there. God is holy, mercy, grace, wisdom, joy, peace, wrath, vengeance, anger, jealousy and the list goes on. Each emotion that we have is ever perfected and magnified in the Godhead. I am pointing out the contextual pillaging that you are guilty of.
    ME: I don’t quite get this. Are we to strive to be more like Christ, therefore magnified in wrath, vengeance, anger, and jealousy?

OSO: You are putting yourself on the throne and standing in judgment of God.
    ME: I rest my case. You think the bible is GOD. You will notice I put myself to the side of the foundation, I am not standing on the top

OSO: The Bible is a weapon, not a defense!
    ME: The WORD is a weapon, a two-edged sword, able to cleave a heart in two. The CHRIST is the WORD. Whenever he spoke, people were healed, people were cut to the quick. But always to heal. To make the world right. I have about decided that the bible is NOT THE WORD spoken of in the bible. You have usurped CHRIST’s role.

ME: We can also challenge our own beliefs, to make sure they stand up to scrutiny. For instance, how different would be the result be for a parent who asks, "Should I shun my child for sin?" On JGnat Foundation vs O-Shinning-One Foundation?
    OSO: There you go again, you cannot place JWs in the category of Christianity, they are in the category of 'cult'.
    ME: OK, I’ll rephrase, though I suspect it will incite another shrieking tirade. The evangelical parents ask themselves, "Should I shun my adult child who has just admitted to be a practicing homosexual?"

(edited a half-dozen times for readability)

• Will Power
    Will Power

very well said Jgnat

>A Christian brought me the good news. I accepted Jesus as my savior. The bible came later. So the bible is not the ROOT or the SOURCE of my faith.

• Quentin
    Quentin
    You still don't get it.

I got it a long time ago Rex...I get you too...

You are just repeating what you assume is correct.

Last time I looked I didn't have a beak and feathers...a parrott I'm not...I don't assume...I examine all things throughly...you think too well of yourself my friend, as if you have a lock down on God's word...

No particular Christian denomination sets the rules governing scripture interpretation.

That's a joke right? Your attempting to inject humor into the thread, right? Hope so, wouldn't want to take that comment seriously...

I'm gonna cut and run...see ya round the campus kid....(as in I have better things to do, for now)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Defd's comment, LOL, can't get the image out of my head...

http://www.whippersnapperdesigns.com/index.php/cPath/2_9/page/1/sort/1a

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit