Questions for Jgnat

by Shining One 151 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Shining One
    Shining One

Hi Quentin,
    I appreciate your interest in the thread. I ask anyone here: How can one claim to be a Christian yet reject key portions of scripture which have been interpreted properly? There are some real problems with this approach. Once you cross into subjective truth, you stand on a 'slippery slope'.
    To be intellectually honest I must stand firmly on Biblical truth and the infallibility of God's word. Just as many Christian pastors and scholars stand today. I do not have to contend inerrancy. Inerrancy is a moot point since we do not have the original manuscripts. Having said this, I also do contend that God has protected His word all along. With the conclusion of the apostolic age, scripture is finished and we need no further revelation.
    We must interpret it just as we would any other literature, in a methodical and logical fashion. If people don't like what it has to say, there is still no need to apologize for God. Accept it or reject it, don't sit on the fence. It is the same with Jesus Christ, accept Him or reject Him, even 'no decision' is in actuality a rejection!
    Everyone bemoans 'black and white' thinking but that is the reality of God. "Why do you call me 'good'? No one is good except God!"
    Rex

• Quentin
    Quentin
    ...reject key portions of scripture which have been interpreted properly?

Well you see now that's the rub. Who determines the interpretation? You...Your group, church, some evangelical on television, internet or the radio? So many voices clamoring me, me me, we have the truth, everyone else is wrong, condemned, will burn in hell and so forth. No Rex it’s not black and white, you, or anyone else saying it is, does not make it so.

• defd
    defd

None of the 'cheerleaders' answered the first question posed to Jgnat. Here it is again

Shining one you will find that they do that alot. ..specially Jgnat. Talking with her is like dancing ballarena style....you keep going round and round and round................. I agreed with alot of what you said and like how you handled the conversation. I did not agree with the statement that JWS were not Christian. The ones who are Faithful Jws are more Christlike than ALL the rest of the professed Christian Religions.

• TD
    TD

I ask anyone here: How can one claim to be a Christian yet reject key portions of scripture which have been interpreted properly?

Rex,

I think you're allowing too much of the argument to manifest itself in your questions

What scriptures? What key portions? What interpretation? Proper according to whom?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I like you OSO - only because your arguments even make me look intelligent!!

If it was jgnat who had said this:

Everyone bemoans 'black and white' thinking but that is the reality of God. "Why do you call me 'good'? No one is good except God!"

Rex

then on the basis of your previous replies your answer to her would be:

'Ah - you don't believe that Jesus is God then!'

That's just how silly your arguments appear to me and probably many others. I'm slightly agnostic at the moment but the Christian who is having the biggest impact on me out of the two of you is jgnat - if the world was full of Christians like you, Shining One, (edited to avoid potential confusion!) I think I'd rather be an atheist. The written word without the Spirit is dead and from where I'm sitting, you are seriously lacking the Spirit.

'If I speak in human or angelic tongues, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal...' 1 Corinthians 13:1 (TNIV)

• jgnat
    jgnat

GOT THE ATTACHMENTS TO WORK! wOO hOO. I think we are still having some trouble with foundational thoughts. Oh, hi, defd! Nice to see you contributing. If words won't work, maybe pictures will do. Here's a picture of a thinking person, with their foundational thinking beside (Foundation 1).

Here the person is testing a concept/idea/dilemma/moral question against their foundation. (Foundation 2)
    Did the foundation pass the test? You have a good foundation. (Foundation 3)

Now, this is how I think o-shinning-one's foundation works. If I'm wrong, OSO, you are welcome to correct me! (Foundation 4) His foundation is the BIBLE where he learned about CHRIST. This must be so because several times he has asked me how in the HECK I can believe in CHRIST if I don't have the BIBLE as my foundation? I tried to draw CHRIST, the ROCK, about equal in size to the BIBLE.

Now here's my foundation (Foundation JGnat).

My foundation is the ROCK, CHRIST. I use the bible as a guide, but it is smaller than CHRIST and not to be worshipped. Any instruction in the bible must first pass the Law of Love test. OSO, you DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION to redraw my diagram, as I speak best for my own perception.

Now, how do we use the diagrams? Those who would challenge our beliefs will naturally attack the foundation. All an athiest/agnostic has to do to challenge OSO's beliefs is attack the bible.

We can also challenge our own beliefs, to make sure they stand up to scrutiny. For instance, how different would be the result be for a parent who asks, "Should I shun my child for sin?" On JGnat Foundation vs O-Shinning-One Foundation?

As before, I'll reply to specifics later.

• defd
    defd

jgnat

I read this thread and I missed the point where shining said he worshipped the bible. He makes sense. If you believe in Jesus you must believe in the bible at least the 1st 4 books of the New Testament. From the conversation i notice a words war. Like a merry go round, one side afraid to admit. That is my take on it anyway

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    I ask anyone here: How can one claim to be a Christian yet reject key portions of scripture which have been interpreted properly?

rexette,

if jesus could reject key portions of scriptures from the old law, then when he died, he gave that right to any of his devoted followers.

(it's just that i've rejected all of them. tee hee )

TS

• defd
    defd

if jesus could reject key portions of scriptures from the old law,

Thats new to me. What potions of the bible did Jesus reject? Please give an example.

D.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

er, the entire old law? lol

you may not see it this way as a drone clone, but jesus was one of the great radicals of recorded "history". why would a radical like him care about a book? why would he care where the deliniation between OT and NT was?

he wanted no relation to organized religion. he tore them a new hole. his followers should have the same chutzpah. shame they don't, with the exception of a few.

TS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit