Is the decision to give blood to your child strictly a conscience matter?

by M.J. 31 Replies latest watchtower medical

• jgnat
    jgnat

Anyways, gossip is rampant in all the Kingdom Halls. I am sure there would be repurcussions even if it were discussed in her hall.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Hi MJ

Blood fractions are now a conscience matter. Is that what she's talking about?

Whole blood is not allowed, period, AFAIK. Like others said, anyone who takes blood is considered to have disassociated herself. Allowing whole blood transfusions for her child would be looked upon as being the same as her allowing a transfusion for herself.

See the infamous cover of the 1994 Awake magazine bragging about all the kids who died because of their parents' obedience to the blood doctrine: http://quotes.watchtower.ca/blood.htm Ask her to get that out and look at it. I can't imagine she could possibly look at that article and honestly say the WTS is not against blood transfusions for children!

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

Way back in the early 70's the cong servant's daughter needed a blood transfusion. Her parents refused and the hospital got a court order. She had the transfusion and no action was taken against the cong. servant. He served as a elder until he died.

• defd
    defd

MJ

When it comes to our obedience to Jehovah God and Jesus EVERYTHING is a conscience matter. The ? is does everyone have a PROPERLY trained bible based conscience. According to the bible those dedicated to God and a disciple of Jesus abstain from blood. Someones conscience may allow them to do it. Does it make it ok? No, not if it violates Gods commands.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    Blood fractions are now a conscience matter.

This has never made any sense to me. It's like declaring the consumption of a turkey sandwich to be an abomination to God, but saying that taking that same sandwich and peeling off the turkey, lettuce & tomato before eating them individually is A-OK with the Almighty--as long as you can't still call it a sandwich.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

After the elders found out that I had donated blood at a blood drive, they threatened to DF me. I told them not to worry about it because I would just DA myself.

• jgnat
    jgnat

What is missing in your comment, defd? What is the consequence to a JW if their conscience allows them to have a blood transfusion?

As for the family who were forced to accept a blood transfusion by court order, they were covered because the action was taken against their will.

The example MJ provides is that the family chose their daughter's life over the WT doctrines (or in defd's parlay, God's Commands.)

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I must say that your wife has either been misinformed , or has perhaps confused the permission now given to accept fractions (all except the whole blood and main 4 components)

I am sure that nothing has changed since this quote from 1991:-

w91 6/15 p. 18 Walk as Instructed by Jehovah ***

If you have children, are you sure that they agree with and can explain the Bible-based stand on transfusions? Do they truly believe this stand to be God’s will? Are they convinced that to violate God’s law would be so serious that it could put at risk a Christian’s prospect for everlasting life? Wise parents will review these matters with their children, whether they be very young or almost adults. Parents may hold practice sessions in which each youth faces questions that might be posed by a judge or a hospital official. The goal is not to have a youth repeat by rote selected facts or answers. It is more important that they know what they believe, and why. Of course, at a court hearing, the parents or others might present information about the risks of blood and the availability of alternative therapies. But what a judge or an official would likely seek to learn from speaking with our children is whether they maturely understand their situation and options and also whether they have their own values and firm convictions.—Compare 2 Kings 5:1-4.

All of us need to appreciate and resolutely hold to God’s view of blood. Revelation 1:5 describes Christ as the one who ‘loves us and who loosed us from our sins by means of his own blood.’ Only by accepting the value of Jesus’ blood can we gain full and lasting forgiveness of our sins. Romans 5:9 clearly says: "Much more, therefore, since we have been declared righteous now by his blood, shall we be saved through him from wrath." How wise, then, for us and for our children to be instructed by Jehovah on this matter and to be determined to walk in his way forever!

BTW . There is a statement fo the outside public that says that individuals are free to make a personal deision . I suppose so, but the congregation will also make a personal decision to call them disassociated and shun them , unless they grovel in repentance

• M.J.
    M.J.
    MJ

When it comes to our obedience to Jehovah God and Jesus EVERYTHING is a conscience matter. The ? is does everyone have a PROPERLY trained bible based conscience. According to the bible those dedicated to God and a disciple of Jesus abstain from blood. Someones conscience may allow them to do it. Does it make it ok? No, not if it violates Gods commands.

When my child is dying on a hospital bed all such mumbo jumbo goes out the door, with the rest of the trash.

• rebel8
    rebel8

defd, please put down your Watchtower pom poms. The WTS' definition of a "conscience matter" is one for which a baptized JW is free to decide for himself without experiencing any judicial committees afterwards. And that's the definition we're using in this thread. Please don't try to hijack this thread and make it into something it's not....again...for the millionth time...that is what trolls do. You are not a troll at heart so don't act like one. MJ is asking a serious question here so please show respect and stay on topic, instead of turning this into a "gimme a W, gimme an A" Watchtower cheering session.

Some people have mentioned court orders and no judicial committees afterward. I think we are talking about 2 different things. 1 is accepting blood willingly for your child. The other is a child having blood forced upon them and not being disciplined by the elders. I wouldn't think normally discipline occurs in the 2nd scenario because the blame for the 'sin' falls upon the judge, not the JW parent.

This has never made any sense to me.
    Me either, and I liked your sandwich analogy. My JW mother refused blood fractions for me after the rule changed in the '70s to make it a conscience matter (although this rule has flip-flopped). I almost died many times because of it. She was told she would be disciplined....elders said it would stumble people, etc. They also told me I would be considered 'damaged goods like a rape victim' and 'no brother will want to marry you'. Well I won't start on that story again. Depressing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit