Is the decision to give blood to your child strictly a conscience matter?

by M.J. 31 Replies latest watchtower medical

• M.J.
    M.J.

My wife asserts that this is the case. She adds that no Witness is to judge another for their decision, whatever it may be. Is this the case, and if so, does it really play out that way?

A JW relative of my wife knows another JW couple who recently allowed their young child to have a life saving blood transfusion. I wonder if these people really were free of pressure to refuse it? And whether or not their decision is really being respected?

I have personally witnessed the peer pressure that is applied to someone facing the decision on whether or not to accept blood for themselves. I also know that there are official sanctions against those who accept it for themselves (disassociation).

Are there no sanctions (official or unofficial) against someone who accepts blood for their child?

• M.J.
    M.J.

I just read the story of Paul Blizard. What he writes is so different from what I'm hearing from my wife.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/2919/test.html

In the meantime, friends contacted the local elders, who promptly came to visit us. They were relieved to find out that there was still time to plan a way to kidnap Jenny out of the hospital before blood could be administered.

I explained to them that the matter was out of my hands and that I was under court order not to remove Jenny. That did not matter to them. Their main concern was to get her out.

I knew that Jenny would shortly die if I removed her from the machines that were keeping her alive, and I would be charged with murder. I explained this to the elders. They replied, "That's the chance you have to take! You cannot allow them to give your child blood!"

Without further discussion, I asked them to leave, stating that we could not allow our child to die in this way. "If this is the God I serve, I am through with Him."

The elders left the hospital angry that we would not submit to their demands "I hope," one elder even said, "she gets hepatitis from that blood, just to prove that it's bad!"

When we finally returned home with Jenny, the Witnesses had received word that even though we had protested the transfusion, We "allowed" her to take it. This made us outcasts in their eyes. They did not excommunicate us because their law calling for expulsion would have applied only if we had freely given permission for the transfusion.

Has there been a change in policy since this was written? And if so, wouldn't this be an obvious injustice to those in the past who were coerced to comply?

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

No. It's not a conscience matter. Who else would they make martyrs out of and get all that new coverage from if it was?

Kwin

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS will say it is their personal choice but still announce to the congregation that they are no longer JWs (the parents have DA'd themselves by choosing to have their child given a blood transfusion).

It is their personal choice to be removed from the congregation.

• M.J.
    M.J.
    the parents have DA'd themselves by choosing to have their child given a blood transfusion

Wow. This is official procedure? That's pretty darn drastic. Not at all what my wife is telling me. So we can fully expect that this JW woman my wife knows about will be DA'd?

I guess I ought to keep asking my wife about the status of this family. Maybe this could be an eye opener for her.

• jgnat
    jgnat

BUT if they have high status in the congregation through blood or marriage, the whole thing may be hushed. Much better to ask your wife if it is OK to talk about their "concientious decision" amongst other members of the Kingdom Hall.

• M.J.
    M.J.
    Much better to ask your wife if it is OK to talk about their "concientious decision" amongst other members of the Kingdom Hall.

Not sure I follow exactly what point I need to be making here. I'm slow!

My wife tried to tell me that the fact this couple's decision was public knowledge was not even an issue. No one would adversely judge them anyway.

• jgnat
    jgnat

So has SHE talked about it at the hall? How would she react if you brought it up on your next visit? I think she is pulling the wool over your eyes, or hers. I'd call her on it.

• M.J.
    M.J.

It's not something going on in HER hall, it's going on in her sister's hall (out of town).

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

She should be DA'd. But then again if she is "repentant, then "mercy" may be shown. Then too the Society has officially stated in letters to elders that when it comes to children there is not much the parents can do. So if she "protested" it then probably nothing would happen. What your wife needs to appreciate is there is personal choice, so long as the persons on the Governing Body would make the choice themselves. If you ask me, it makes me sick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit