Should Katrina Victims Share Blame ??

by Jeannine 25 Replies latest jw friends

• bisous
    bisous

ahh, it ain't worth it..

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

There will be plenty of time for blame once the living are fed, clothed, and housed and the dead are found and buried.

I wonder if the effort to figure out "whose fault it is" is part of the grieving process...

• kazar
    kazar

Jeannine

That was a good post. You posted some information I was unaware of. For instance, that there were buses prior to the storm to evacuate those who would leave. I don't know how reliable your sources are but assuming they are, you have made some interesting points.

• Jeannine
    Jeannine

Kazar, I followed Hurricane Katrina once it was known that it would hit somewhere in the Gulf because I have family in Pensacola, FL. I paid attention to the preparations, believing my family may evacuate (they were spared as the storm turned west). I watched the news as people were bused to the Superdome, at the expense of the City. My source is the news. The preparations that took place in New Orleans were widely covered. In my opinion, there were some poor decisions made by individuals in NO, as well as local and state government. If a Cat 5 is heading your way and you live below sea-level, you must evacuate to higher ground to save your life. Period. Having little money is a poor excuse for being stuck on your roof AFTER the City offered you transportation to higher ground. If someone had pets and couldn't take them to the Superdome, then I can sympathize. Otherwise, these "stuck on the roof" people simply made a bad decision.

• Jeannine
    Jeannine

BTW, I have seen lots of footage of roof-top rescues and there is almost always one or more CARS in the driveway (now submerged in water). None of these cars worked? The City provided several different shelters, not just the Superdome. Nobody should have to be rescued from their roof after being given stern warnings that a major hurricane is enroute that could topple the levees and cause 20 ft of water. This fact was repeated over, and over again prior to the storm. Yes, I blame some of those people that are now clinging to their shingles.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

I think your post made alot of sense and described how most people in this country think and believe about the victims of Katrina. It is so very sad to see children who have been put through this staggering ordeal because of their parent's irresponsibilty.

It's obivious to me that the major of New Orleans tried to place the blame on the federal gov't ( Bush) just as other black leaders did. The Rev. Al Sharpton said, and I quote , " If the people had been whiter and wealther, then help would have arrived much sooner." This man loves to play the race card every chance he gets, even at the expense of his dead 'brothers and sisters'.

WHAT THE F... IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE !

• TonyT
    TonyT

A unfortunate number of people had no chance to leave but what percentage of victims, given the same situation, would find a way out of town?

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

yes, in some cases, they do...but not in all.

Those that followed directions and went to the superdome because they couldn't get out of the city: they were failed by the city, and the state. There should have been supplies there for them.

Beyond that, I think this subject has been posted to death...so I am done with it. (I hope...I guarantee nothing, depends on my mood )

• heathen
    heathen

Good point --- It was probly only a $20 cab ride out of new orleans all together .I know I would've made a break for it .......

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

According to a number of interviews with survivors, some of the people who remained in their homes did so because past experiences with having to seek shelter in the dome was a nightmare and they were too afraid to repeat it this time. Their choice was home or dome.

One young mother told of how she and her husband and kids were in a van and trying to get out of the city but the traffic was so snarled that many had to turn around and return and seek shelter back at home.

Others - well, there are so many reasons for staying behind....one thing I asked myself though and that is - if it was me and my elderly/sick/disabled/young neighbour/relative/friend could not leave, would I shut the door on them and walk away to save myself? Don't think I could have done that. If it was a simple matter of material possessions one didn't want to leave behind then that's a different scenario.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit