Report of "Brothers and Sisters" affected by Katrina

by Grace 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Grace
    Grace

We have have all been so affected by the news from the southern US, and even up here in the middle of the Canadian prairie I wish I could open my home to so many who need a home right now; however, all I can do (and it's better than nothing) is to whip out my credit card and make a donation to the Red Cross.

I picked up my JW husband from the KH today (I am disassociated), and he said, "... they had a report that most of the brothers and sisters in New Orleans happened to be at an assembly in Houston when the tragedy struck ~ so, not to worry, because not too many were affected." Of course, it didn't cross his mind to help non-JW folks, and, quite obviously, the elders from the platform would never suggest this because it has been made clear how the rank and file should view charity and humanitarian efforts.

Didn't Jesus say something about love being the distinguishable mark of a Christian? Uhmmmm.... and they're shunning us [those who don't agree with them]?

Grace

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

It is not yet known whether any Jehovah's Witnesses lost their lives, but to say that not too many were effected is bunk. If 23 Kingdom Halls suffered major water damage, 8 are submerged, 2 are partially submerged and one was completely destroyed, do you think nothing happened to any of their homes?

http://www.jw-aid.com

They are no more special than anyone else. There are thousands and thousands of other people who are also survivors.

• banished1
    banished1

Glad to hear of "the report" that few witnesses were affected by Katrinas force. But the report doesnt sound very official. I'm sure many suffered the loss of their properties.

• Cognitive_Dissident
    Cognitive_Dissident

what an insanely callous thing to say from the stage - to imply that witnesses should breathe easier knowing that a small fraction of those living in the devestated area might be ok. Just ignore the fact that the city is destroyed and there are countless "worldly" people whose lives are in shambles, or dead.

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

I'd think coming home from an Assembly™ to find your home reduced to rubble or submerged being affected by the disaster. But then, I'm a human being not a souless publishing corp.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

I've been watching the WWL webfeed and just say a restaging of a family who had evacuated NO but left their mama behind because she didn't want to leave seeing her on tv. This involved (the restaging) a praising of Jehovah. No other thing was said that pointed to the family being JWs, but it seems a good assumption.

(Mama, by the way, was fit to be tied--wanted out of New Orleans and didn't ever want to come back!)

• muse
    muse

My Dad said similar to me on the phone last night. We were discussing the devastation caused by Katrina and he suddenly said "we haven't lost any lives" for a moment I stupidly didn't understand what he was saying but then he went on "yes, everyone was at the assemblies and not a life was lost from what we can tell". I was totally speechless - I couldn't believe that he was talking as though anyone else who had died did not matter, but what freaked me out was the way he obviously believes that the Witnesses were saved because they were at the assembly. There was an awkward silence and then I said, well I am glad they are alive - but obviously they have lost their homes. Dad then changed the subject and I am convinced it was because of the 'stunned' silence that happened after he said it. I actually felt a bit sick after that conversation.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

The announcement on stage brought people to donate to fix those kingdom halls. They said that matters to help Witnesses on a personal level

would be (instructions and announcements to be made later). SO all the money put in the contribution box would help the Society and they decide how

much to LEND to the local congregations to rebuild

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    and they decide how much to LEND to the local congregations to rebuild

Yup. THEY can decide what to lend . Other religious organizations are getting funds together to send.

What a difference a heart makes.

(Have I mentioned today that the WTS makes me sick?)

Annie

• delilah
    delilah

They must rebuild the kingdumb halls, in order to keep control of the masses. Everything else is moot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit