After Katrina, do you now have an emergency plan?

by LyinEyes 21 Replies latest jw friends

• banished1
    banished1

We are talking about that now. Today we got 4 truckloads of cut wood for our wood stove. I thought if the gas prices go up so will the electrical rates. We cook with gas and so have always been able to make meals when the lights go out. Lots of canned meals are in the lower cupboards. We just bought a nice new can opener for us and for his mom. Water is stored outside in a shed. A natural creek runs in the backyard, but we are taking Brenda's advice to get some water purifiers.

Having an emergency first aid kit and toiletries is something I will be in charge of. I live in earthquake land so having to live out of doors is a real possibility. We have a camping cookstove and back up propane cylinders. Drinking out of the back of toilets and the water heater is a great idea. Pet food is something I've thought to stock up on (canned form).

This is a good discussion. I like preparing for disaster (and then having it never come)

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

I`ve lived in Florida most of my life on the Atlantic coast! Always ready to move, quickly!! I have downsized things alot through the years. Most things (pets included) are ready to go when we get the orders to evacuate. But thanks to some posters here I`ve picked up a few other tips too!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I'm wondering how many of you noticed National Hurricane Preparedness Week.

How well publicised was it?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:After Katrina, do you now have an emergency plan?

Yes, after talking to the couple with a baby that we helped yesterday, who took a speedboat and paddled it to dry land, taking up to 10 people at a time, after spending a night in a school they'd broken into, to get to the convention center, and then walked to the superdome, and then back and forth (I think they were trying to be wherever there might be action to get them out) for 6 days, "looting" all along, but not getting much in the way of food, (somehow he managed to end up in Dallas w/o any shoes either).... my plan is to carry suicide capsules with me at all times :-D

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    my plan is to carry suicide capsules with me at all times :-D

Sounds like an awful big pill to swallow!

• fairchild
    fairchild

Well, I live in a rather rough area, pretty far away from the civilized world (thank goodness). Especially in wintertime, when the snow piles way up here in the mountains, we often lose power for days on end. Since I live off the beaten track, it can take several days for the snowplows to clear my road. There have been times when I was snowed in forever, without power and no way to heat the house, and temperatures down to 40 below zero. About 8 years ago, I lost power for a full week in the middle of wintertime. After day #3, I ran out of food and I was forced to snowshoe through the valley in order to reach a friend's place, 12 miles from here. That day, I swore that I would never be so unprepared, ever again. (Although I *thought* I was prepared).

I have, at all times.. 100 bottles of water. 50 gallons of water to wash myself and flush the toilet. A huge woodstack outdoors, and a sheltered spot with a firepit. 10 blankets and a sleeping bag. 100 candles and plenty of matches. Also lots of flashlights and batteries. A radio on batteries as well. About 50 pounds of dried foods like rice, beans, lots of sugar, flour, yeast, etc... Actually, I have enough food to get me through a winter without going to the store. As I make plenty of money in summertime, by the end of each summer, I pack up all my food and give it to shelters, then I buy everything new. That way it gets rotated. I also have lots of milk powder, cans of evaporated milk, well, cans of just about everything. I am at least 6 months ahead with cleaning supplies and bathroom supplies. I always have seeds on hand to plant the garden the next year. In short, should something happen, I could survive for years and help others to do the same thing. I know a lot about how to dry and store foods in summertime, getting it ready for the winter. (No, I'm not a squirrel).

Call me crazy, but you never, ever know what the next day is going to bring.

Since I lost all my possessions by floodings once, I am prepared for that as well. A lot of my things are stored in plastic containers. I also make sure to have all kinds of tools on hand.

• blondie
    blondie

There are tornados in this area so we have emergency supplies in the basement at all times. It is good to prepare for a fire in your home. I keep our most important papers in a box in the bedroom, that is easy to find.

The business area here has a tornado drill twice a year, evacuating all (and I mean all) staff to the basements. Home drills are a good idea.

Those who fail to plan, plan to fail.

Thanks for all the tips.

Blondie

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I bought a fireproof box that I keep all important papers ( birth certificates, bank info etc), a little cash, some pics of all of us from baby pics thru the years . That way if the house burns maybe I will have at least those. I love my pictures and that is what is killing so many of the people who had to leave their homs ASAP, they couldnt take the irreplaceable pictures with them. Houses can be rebuilt and things replaced , but not the pictures.

I need to scan my pictures and put them on discs or something. That could take a lifetime...lol, I have tons.

We don't have basements here in Louisiana and I wish we could have them, I am so scared of tornadoes.

Something that me and Denny's Mom have talked about is pooling our resourses if we have to. She and I are both good horders with food, batteries , water, etc. If we all have to huddle together in one house, we can share the food and share the heat, car pool out when we need to.

• desbah
    desbah

some of my relatives live in remote areas with no electricity or water, they choice to live off the land and herd their livestocks and plant crops this is a way of life for us for generations. With modern technology entering these remote areas gas, solar and wind generators are helping to provide alternative energy sources. Water is still the precious commodity here, we have to haul 200 gallon of water one or twice a week for human and livestock use. I have been told by my parents not to get attached to the livestock, because some day it will be used to fed us. Everyone recommendations are excellent, when it come to babies they need baby forumla if not canned milk or powdered milk will do. For the elderly cans of ensure will help. check your staples: flour, sugar, salt, shortening, yeast, canned or powdered milk, rice, beans, spam, corned beef, canned tuna, teas, coffee (cowboy style), canned food, like soup, stews, cup of noodles, canned pork n' beans, canned veggies, canned fruit and a can opener. I know the more traditional folks would make jerky meats or sun dried fruits to last through the winter months. first aid kit, flashlights, batteries, radio or stereo, matches, tools, candles and oil lamps, propane stove and lanterns (use with caution.)personal items and important documats.

My heartfelt sympathy goes out to all the victims of Katrina.

~desbah~

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes
    For the elderly cans of ensure will help.

I never thought of Ensure, my son loves the chocolate flavor, that would fill a belly in a pinch. Thanks for the suggestion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit