Rescue inequality?

by Simon 63 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

This doesn't sound right:

Hyatt guests given priority
    At one point Friday, the evacuation was interrupted briefly when school buses rolled up so some 700 guests and employees from the Hyatt Hotel could move to the head of the evacuation line — much to the amazement of those who had been crammed in the stinking Superdome since last Sunday.

“How does this work? They (are) clean, they are dry, they get out ahead of us?” exclaimed Howard Blue, 22, who tried to get in their line. The National Guard blocked him as other guardsmen helped the well-dressed guests with their luggage.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9175611/

Shouldn't people be saved as they are found with no preferential treatment? Or take people in order of need?

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Yes that does sound bad. They are lucky that kind of inequitous treatment didnt spark a riot.

“We were rolling,” Capt. Jean Clark said. “If the buses had kept coming, we would have this whole place cleaned out already or pretty close to it.”

The remaining refugees remained orderly, sitting down after hearing the news.

What a testament to the human spirit though, that those last refugees were able to find the strength to behave with dignity.

• Simon
    Simon
    What a testament to the human spirit though, that those last refugees were able to find the strength to behave with dignity.

Yes, I think I'd have been hurling bricks if I was in the queue!

• under74
    under74

It's outragous! This whole thing has made me sick. The so called "greatest nation on earth" (according to some) has a government willing to sit by and watch it's own people die.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

the equality of people is just an illusion.
    peoples live are not worth all the same.

This is not my opinion but the sad reality.

I am wondering too, if this would have been another more rich, more influencial city, if not more precautions would have been taken.
    Sad to say, but probably true....

Danny

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I just watched our world news and about 40 tourists including about 23 Aussies were on that bus.

The reason?

They had been in the Superdome and witnessed a number of murders, rapes and stabbings. The young women were being assaulted and had to have a man with them at all times and all were threatened with death. They kept to a tight circle for protection and were absolutely terrified esp at night. It was made clear they were next to be targetted.

One man took control and approached the National Guard who evacuated them to the Hyat under armed guard.

Inequality?

• Simon
    Simon

Nice people.

Glad they got out then.

• under74
    under74

That may be true dd. However, what of the rape victims? BUT look, there's no excuse for them not having enough resources to get ALL the people out. It should have started days ago. This is a rich nation with plenty of buses. They say it was hard to get in but plenty of journalists managed to do it and have supplies brought in for them. It's BS when FEMA and politicians say they couldn't get in or didn't have the resources.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Yeah I've already vented my feelings about that on other threads. Tragic all round really.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i see george bush hugged only washed and dressed folk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit