No more hand claps, please

by coolhandluke 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• damselfly
    damselfly
    Ooo Ooo Ooo, what word?

"whatever"

No wonder my prayers never got answered.

dams

• Cognitive_Dissident
    Cognitive_Dissident

If you were leaving with no uncertainty you could wear a white t-shirt with bold black letters underneath a white dress shirt that said

"Got the Clap?"

• rebel8
    rebel8

I found the incessant clapping quite entertaining. I would laugh my head off each time there was clapping when it wasn't appropriate, which was all the time. Me and my friends used to start clapping in the middle of the talks at a stupid point, such as after a scripture reading, ie:

"In the beginning, God created man and earth." CLAP!!!!

It was really quite funny. My friends and I, of course not being allowed to sit together, were sitting apart but would make gestures to each other when we were getting ready to clap. Because we were sitting apart, it would look like we spontaneously felt like clapping at the same time. Once a few of us started to clap, everyone else would follow. I guess kids notice a lot of stupid things....

Thank you for starting this thread. I am LMAO remembering this! Maybe we should all go to conventions and start clapping frenzies. "The internet is bad." CLAP!!!!!! "Timothy didn't go to college and neither should you." CLAP!!!!! "J will put apostates to death." CLAP!!!!!!!!! It's mob mentality, people not thinking for themselves. Don't get me started about the songs!

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

What used to crack me up was sunday arvo after lunch drool out of mouth and the speaker would say something like, Isn't it tragic how many bros were killed in Zimbabwe? or whatever and some sleepy bugger would take the pause as a spot for a clap. They'd always get a couple of dozen to join in!!!

The speaker would soldier on realising that his audience would rather be anywhere else but listening to him.....

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

On the other hand, they discourage spontanaeus applause at really important moments like someones baptism.

When we attended the convention in Moscow in the early 90's the stadium erupted in standing applause when the first baptism candidates appeared and kept it up for an hour and a quarter until it was completed. That was not staged , it was a genuine joyful expression at the time. But of course it broke official Society's protocol for such events . I caught sight of the British party leader from the London Bethel and he was sitting stone faced throughout.

ce la vie!

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

God I hated all the clapping, too. when I had to sit with my parents, we'd get the elbow thing. Finally I started sitting with "the young group". I'd always volunteer so I could sneak out before the end of the talk. I always left earlier than I was suppose to. Sometimes I'd get in trouble. Either someone from our congregation or my stepdad, would catch us not paying attention. Then we'd have to go sit with our families the rest of the day! I guess we did get a LITTLE loud at times. No one ever paid attention to the talks. We'd just clap when the others did.

Makes me want to go back and reak havoc.....NOT

shelley

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Clapping JW`s alway`s reminded me of clapping seal`s waiting for a sardine..LOL!...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit