WTBTS: Do Not Mark Donations For Relief Efforts - Mark World Wide Work

by Honesty 49 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I'll type out word for word the question box from the Canadian January 2005 KM (pg.3):

QUESTION BOX

What is the best way to make contributions for the benefit of needy brothers in other lands?

At times, we hear about brothers in another land who have come into material need because of persecution, disaster, or other difficult circumstances. Some brothers have been moved to send funds directly to the branch offices in such lands, requesting that the money be used to help a certain individual, a particular congregation, or a designated building project.-2 Cor. 8:1-4.

While such loving concern for fellow believers is commendable, often there are needs that are more urgent than those that the contributor has in mind. In some cases, the designated need has already been cared for. Of course, we can be confident that when contributions are sent to the local branch office for the worldwidework, the Kingdom Hall Fund, or disaster relief, those donated funds will be used as directed by the contributor. The brothers in all the branches have been thoroughly trained to respond quickly to unanticipated needs. In all cases, the branch keeps the Governing Body informed regarding the matter. If additional assistance is needed, the Governing Body may invite nearby branches to help or funds may be sent directly from headquarters.-2 Cor. 8:14, 15.

Therefore, all contributions intended for the worldwide work, building projects in other lands, or disaster relief should be sent to the branch office in the land in which you live, either through the congregation or directly. In this way, "the faithful and discreet slave," through the organizational arrangements set in place by the Governing Body, cares for the needs of the worldwide brotherhood in an orderly manner. -Matt. 24:45-47; 1 Cor. 14:33,40.

Now I recall them announcing at the service meeting at a later time, to not even put "disaster relief" on the memo line of the cheque: just "world wide work". If only I had access to that letter.

• Neo
    Neo

bttt

• Mulan
    Mulan

We are not donating to any relief work. I am suspicious as to where that money goes. Recently there was a report on TV about the billions raised for the tsunami victims and they aren't getting it. Someone (or many) are getting rich for sure.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Donations should be marked for the World Wide Work and not specificically reserved for relief efforts. This allows the brothers to use the money in the best way they see fit. Again, mark donations for the World Wide Work and not specific to the relief efforts.

Why don't the bastards just come out and say money for the "Worldwide Work" is just for their pedophice defense fund?

W

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

this burns me up!

you KNOW they will go down and help rebuild WITNESSES homes.....ON DONATED MONEY...

then will take the brothers insurance checks when they get them.they did it in florida

this is so wrong and i started a thread pleading for one of the people here who do press releases etc to get on it.

wish i had a relative that worked for AP!

• gespro
    gespro

Slowly...

getting...

sick!!!

• Quotes
    Quotes

Looks like they haven't changed their tune. There was a similar response last year re: Tsunami Victims Relief. I have a audio recording and transcript of the phone call to Bethel: http://quotes.watchtower.ca/tsunami_relief.htm. This page also has a scan of and the text from *** Our Kingdom Ministry, January 2005 For Canada km-E 1/05 Vol. 48, No. 1, p.7 ***.

In case you don't have time to check it out, let me summarize:

Send us money. No, we don't have a seperate account set up, but send us money anyway. No, we don't really have a plan, but send us money anyway. No, we don't have any planes loaded and ready to go; in fact we don't have any planes at all [except for that executive jet in alaska] but send us money! No, as far as we know, no JWs were hurt/killed, but send us money. No, no kingdom halls were damaged, but send us money. We will use the money very carefully for... um... er... what were you asking about again? Oh yeah, Tsunami Relief, right. Send money. And make sure you spell our company name correctly, or else you're just wasting our time. We don't like wasting time when we collect money for... um.... er... whatever you said you wanted us to use it for.

~Quotes, of the "They Are *NOT* a Charity" class

• Pole
    Pole

:Why don't the bastards just come out and say money for the "Worldwide Work" is just for their pedophice defense fund?
    That's what I thought too.
    Every respectable charity sets up separate accounts for separate crises. The WT is no charity - but that should only make them even stricter about separating donations.
    Otherwise it comes across as using the disaster to make more money. Of course they will provide some token help, but since nobody really knows how much was received in donations for the Katrina hurricane victims, they may as well use some of this money to pay lawyers for defending convicted pedophiles like they have done in the past.
    Pole

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

No wonder they want people to make out cheques only to "World Wide Work", because as a Registered Charity they have to abide by the laws relating to "Restricted Funds", i.e. if some-one donates money for a specific purpose and states the purpose clearly, that money then has to be accounted for in an entirely separate set of accounts, these are know as Restricted Funds and none of this money can be used for any other purpose. There is also a time-period in which this money must be spent. If this donated money is not kept in a separate account it can easily be swallowed up into their "large pot". Also Accounts prepared in this way can be very time-consuming. Here is the link to the UK Charity Commissioners site

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/supportingcharities/ogs/g043b001.asp#a4

This of course is the Law in the UK, but I should imagine that other countries have the same or similar rules.

Twink

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Contributing or donating to *anything* other than the WTS has as long as I can remember, has been the way it WAS. ALL $$$$$ that a JW may care to send, is most often designated for the "worldwide preaching work" and where it actually GOES or how it is actually SPENT is only a guess at best.

The unknowing and unsuspecting JWs have no "say" where THEY might like to see their money go. The many costly lawsuits against the WTS in defending the child molestation cases (for instance) comes from these donations from the "brothers". It has been known to use these donations for "preaching work" in ways that the JWs cannot imagine.

The harmless generic label of "worldwide preaching work" is, as per usual for the WTS----*sounds good* on the surface, but in reality, is used to cover the sins and actions of many unsavory practices and people.

The WTS is always very careful to keep its public image supposedly squeaky clean, but it has as many (if not more) flaws and hidden factors as the rest of them do. They are no different in that respect. Yes, I am sure too, that they will come up with glowing stories for the JWs to feel good about and to tell others about far and wide, as the WTS has always been known to do. Nothing changes.

Generally, the congregations of different churches DO have a headquarters or a head base where they can find instructions on where to send what they can to storm-ravaged and emergencies that periodically arise throught the world.

How often do we see and hear of reports of even little ones selling cookies or lemonade for raising funds to donate to these causes? How many teens have car washes for the same purpose? How many places have "walks" to raise funds for different charities?

AND......how many "organized" local groups of JWs do anything of this nature to show their support of their fellow man? I have NEVER heard of ONE example of this EVER! It makes the WTS look as if it doesn't GIVE a hoot about anything but the WTS and ITS interests.

LOOK at the people coming forth on TV who are opening up their homes (for an unknown period of time) and doing other things of a truly generous nature! I have not herad of ONE of these where the religious persuasion of any needy individual has been asked, have you?

The WTS has always played its cards close to the chest and appear very "anal" and stiff-necked. The fact that sporadic examples of JWs have been moved to donate their money to the Gulf States cause is admirable, but the WTS, in its usual stoic way, sits there in its ivory tower, seemingly untouched by *any* plights in the world they LIVE in!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit