Do you see the average Jehovah’s Witness as a victim...?

by trevor 35 Replies latest social relationships

• trevor
    trevor

Some good points have been made and so far there seems to be a general agreement.

On a personal note. After I left the Watchtower Society I saw my brother as a victim and felt sorry for him and hoped that one day he would see the light as he grew older. Instead he became and elder and started to change. I realized that he was moving from victim to perpetuator. He now shuns me.

I still see him as a victim but realize that he has made a choice and at some point we become responsible for our actions.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Individually , yes they are victims . Just as we were, but they have not yet realised that they have been fooled. Did not Ray franz use the phrase "Victims of victims"?

It is the ORGANIZATION that is the villain

• daystar
    daystar

I don't blame my parents' for raising me as JW. I'm sometimes bitter and I want them to open their eyes to see just how that religion so very negatively affected me and continues to affect others. But they thought, and still do mostly, that it is the Truth.

But those who perpetuate the lies with open eyes are evil persons. Whether the GB fall into this category en masse or not is not certain in my mind. The organization as a whole is the Victimizer, and It is to blame. Those pulling the strings should be held accountable.

• prophecor
    prophecor

I feel that most JW's are ignorant and are not to be held responsible for the drivel that they disemanate as truth. They've come to be blindsided as to their belief structure, even as I was. It's like passing counterfeit money, it's so good that it can be used just as if it were real, however, some come to the realization that they need to look a little more carefully into the situation, and when they see it for what it is, it becomes thier responsibility to do a thorough investigation as to the true background and nature of the organisation. Those who choose to stay despite any and all evidence to the contrary, I feel sorry for them. They, then, go from being ignorant to being stupid. There is nothing that can gathered from dealing with one who is stupid, and a fool.

• trevor
    trevor

Skyman said:

I do not hate the individual because they are stupid like I was at one time. What I hate is the Society.

This is how I personally feel, though it is individuals that collectively keep the Watchtower machine running. Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law but there is a difference between perpetuating an organization when we know that it corrupt and simply following something that we think is truth.

The issue becomes blurred when we take into account the fact that when people in all walks of life come upon evidence that could cause painful disruption in their lives, will deliberately wear blinkers.

The ability to blank out what is unacceptable to our belief system is often an automatic and sub-conscious action. It is only with hindsight that we see what mischief we have been involved in. Once we have become aware of what our minds are capable of we are less likely to fall into the same trap or other traps. But what of those still caught in the trap?

Guilty or not guilty? Time to deliver a verdict! trevor

• alreadygone
    alreadygone

I don't hold them responsible for my disfunction, after all I allowed it. But I do hold them responsible for their own stupidity. As for them being victims, no they are choosing that life.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Do you see the average Jehovah’s Witness as a victim...?
    Absolutely not!

• Soledad
    Soledad

Children of JWs are victims. They are dependent on their parent(s) and don't know any better until they get older and learn things on their own.

I don't view adult JWs as victims.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes - but a willing victim

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I think along the same lines as sole dad.

I feel really sorry for the kids who have been brought up in that religon. They know no different. I know what its like I've been there. The world is scary to kids like them. Yes they are victims. I feel sad for people who don't know any better but feel that they should apply the counsel they make their studies apply - keep on examining these things to see if they are true.

I feel angry with the leaders. they are deceivers and manipulators. i don't like them at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit