Hurr. Katrina and the WTS' slacking hand

by doinmypart 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary
    The WT, while relatively wealthy with real estate, is primarily a publishing company. It has limited cash resources, and there aren't that many Witnesses--and few of those that are trained to help in emergency situations.

It has limited cash resources?? You gotta be kidding me........they're worth billions of tax free dollars. Even if alot of it is in real estate and not cash, don't you think it would be a nice Christian gesture to perhaps "sell [some of their] their belongings" to help out their fellow man when disaster strikes?? Seeing as they proclaim loud and long that only THEY are God's True Christians here on earth, don't you think they should be doing far more charitable works than what those in "Christendom" are doing??

Doesn't it make sense to spend the limited amounts of money and manpower helping "their own" first of all? Would you criticize a man who went into the floodwaters to rescue his family first, perhaps ignoring others who were in peril along the way?
    Can you please list any other church groups that go into disaster areas and "help their own" first?? Does the Catholic Church or the Methodist Church in New York go down to New Orleans and only "help their own"?? Not to my knowledge. What would you think if a group of whites from the U.S. Army went in to a city and decided to help out the white folks first??? Does the Army do this? Of course not......they go in there and help everyone who needs their help. It doesn't matter what colour your skin is or what religion you belong to---they're there to help out their fellow man.

Pretty bad when the U.S. Army shows more of a Christian Spirit than God's Visible Organization eh?

• blondie
    blondie

I was watching the news and wondering the same.

Would JWs put up homeless JWs from other areas in their own homes?

You can hardly get anyone to do it for conventions because of bad experiences.

I would be interested to hear confirmed reports of them even helping other JWs.

I guess when Armageddon comes, the doors at the KH will be locked to all.

Blondie

• avishai
    avishai
    The WT, while relatively wealthy with real estate, is primarily a publishing company. It has limited cash resources

They make abour a billion a year, cash, tax free. Oh, yeah, they're REAL poor.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Doesn't it make sense to spend the limited amounts of money and manpower helping "their own" first of all?

Someone help me here... I seem to recall a scripture in the New Testament that says there is more righteousness in helping a stranger than your brother

• sir82
    sir82
    Even if alot of it is in real estate and not cash, don't you think it would be a nice Christian gesture to perhaps "sell [some of their] their belongings" to help out their fellow man when disaster strikes??

Yes, I do.

But, they have a cash crunch. If they sell some of their property each & every time a disaster strikes, it wouldn't be long before there was no property left to sell. They are not getting the cash flow in to re-acquire anything they might sell. They are in the business of priniting books & magazines, not in the business of disaster relief like Red Cross.

don't you think they should be doing far more charitable works than what those in "Christendom" are doing??

Again, yes in principle, but...

"Christendom" has trillions of dollars and billions of adherents...compared to the world's major religions, the JWs are quite small.

Does the Catholic Church or the Methodist Church in New York go down to New Orleans and only "help their own"??

No, a very good point you have made.

What would you think if a group of whites from the U.S. Army went in to a city and decided to help out the white folks first???

Apples & oranges. The army gets hundreds of billions of dollars in funding annually from the US gov't, and has thousands of persons trained to help in disaster situations. The JWs get millions of dollars, which they invest in their core business which has nothing to do with disaster relief. Plus "the army helping only whites" isn't really equivalent to "JWs helping JWs first".

I think the example of a man, or a family, going in and helping out their own family is more apt. With very limited resources, they couldn't make any significant dent in helping the 10's or 100's of thousands in need. If you don't have enough to spend on helping everyone, you need to decide who to help first. JWs choose to help their "brothers in the faith" first.

All that being said....I do agree with the points made above. Jesus showed time & again the importance of charitable works, a point the JWs completely miss over & over & over again. JWs failing to do this, and not setting up any kind of charity anywhere, is just another line of evidence showing how woefully short they fall of the Christian ideal.

But I really don't fault them for looking after their own people first. In my experience, once there are JWs on the scene working, their humanity comes out and they often do go and help out where they can, regardless of the beliefs of those they help. But that is due to the humanity of the individual JWs, certainly it is not an organizational response.

• Mary
    Mary
    Christendom" has trillions of dollars and billions of adherents...compared to the world's major religions, the JWs are quite small.

Uh, what about doing the obvious: like putting something up on their website with an address of where you can send money/clothes/food to?? Surely that wouldn't cost too much of their hard earned cash.........they pulled this same crap after 9-11. While basically every other religion has a notice on their website about where you could send relief effort donations to, and said things like "we're praying for all those who were affected by this tragedy", what did the WTB&TS have on it's website: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. It absolutely disgusted me that they didn't even acknowledge what had happened and they certainly never helped with any kind of a relief effort even though they were right across the frigging river when it happened!!!

So please don't make excuses for them that it 'makes sense to help their own first'......the bottom line is: they don't give a rat's ass about anyone who's not a Witness----unless they're a potential convert.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes
    Would JWs put up homeless JWs from other areas in their own homes?

I have to tell ya'll what I saw while I was an active JW. We live in Louisiana, it is on the hurrican route out of NewOrleans, surround areas, so people here are used to the threat of hurricanes, and many times evacute out of town if there is even a slight threat of severe weather.

In the Congregation I was in, we had about three families that were from the Houma , GoldenMeadows, NewOrleans, Slidell areas. They were the sweetest Jw's I ever met.

No joke, they were all just good damn people , better than most in putting themselves out . They always gave food and money to people who were worse off they they were in the congregation, and these people were poor themselves.

So , my point is that when the bad weather came........you bet those South Louisiana JW's opened their homes. Even ones who had small two bedroom old trailers, found cots, sleeping bags and had their friends down. Those people from south Louisiana the JW's who were staying with the ones who moved here from down there, were just as wonderful. They made sure they earned their keep so to speak, by cooking and cleaning for their hosts, even when told not to. It is just the way they are, very , very hospitable.

My friend Karen who was from Houma, was a saint if there ever was one, and I admired her for her Mother Teresa ways. I have always been kind of shy but I followed her lead and invited her friends the downsouth Jw's to come and stay with us, to give more room and beds and I enjoyed them so much.

That was just my experience with the JW's from down south. I hope they are ok, and I still love them.

• Valis
    Valis

If you look at other churches the giving starts at the bottom when it comes to disaster relief. Church members mobilize and start collecting needed supplies. Or they organize teams to go help the ones in need.. Dubs don't do these things period.

• Bryan
    Bryan
    they have a cash crunch.

You obviously are from the Tower, perhaps here for damage control. What you said, quoted above, is obsurd. And if you would like to stick to your bold lie, please show us the links, info, or explain how you know that the Tower is in a "cash crunch".

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• unique1
    unique1

Sir 82.

While you do have some points you are missing a bit.

The WT even though they aren't as big as (christendom) can manage to get magazines to KH throughout the country, could they not get some supplies as well in a time of need? They may not have tons of money but could they not organize something like the floodbuckets posted otherwise on here? It doesn't take a lot of money to help. Could they not make the halls a shelter? The point is they could do something, yet they are doing nothing. They will send work crews down in a few weeks to help rebuild a few of the JW homes and that is it. It is better than nothing at all, but a little effort goes a long way. They should put forth a bit of it. These people need us NOW not in a few weeks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit