Hurr. Katrina and the WTS' slacking hand

by doinmypart 29 Replies latest jw friends

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

I work in a business that is dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. In perusing a list of shelters in the affected areas I see civic centers, schools, several churches, but no Kingdom Halls (gasp!). Imagine that!

So sad, seeing their lack of compassion in practice. Their "help" is extended only to other JWs, they'll never change.

• SadElder
    SadElder

You will not see Kingdumb Halls on lists of shelters. Friends in Florida last year were read a letter from the borg instructing them not to come to Kingdom Halls in case of a weather emergency such as hurricanes. Something about insurance issues.

What a crock.

So the Kingdom Hall is supposed to be the center of true worship, but only in fair weather. Makes me boil just repeating it.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Do they actually 'help' their own?

When I was growing up, here in Texas, there was a hurricane that hit (and almost deleted) Corpus Christi - in the late 60's.

The local JW folks, got together a lot of food, water, supplies, and sent a truck - or two - down there - to help out the JWs in Corpus.

When I was still married to the JW wifey, there was a hurricane that hit on the coast. I asked the wifey what the local JWs were doing? She babbled something about how they were being 'helped' from Brooklyn now, and not by the surrounding JW folks.

I thought that a tad odd... is that how they do things nowadays?

Regards,

Jim TX

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I remeber the Awake articles from the past that touted all the grand services provided by JW's during natural disastors. No help now?

• steve2
    steve2

One can always hope that individual JWs are not as insular and mean-spirited as their parent body, but with possibly one or two exceptions, that would be a long shot. Mean parents = mean kids.

• vitty
    vitty

Hey, I think your being completely unfair here.

I definitley saw a JW on the telly wading through the water, mags in hand, giving spirtual direction when its needed the most ( ok so his wellies didnt match his suit, but it was still a good witness)

Whats more important. Help with food, blankets and shelter or placing mags. Remember we´ll always have these disasters, dont worry about it. But they are giving help for their everlasting life, now thats real charity............................yeah right!

So any donations you give will go directly to the JWs who need help rebuilding their homes, and then any insurance money they get will go directly to the WT. I think its great!

• steve2
    steve2
    I definitley saw a JW on the telly wading through the water, mags in hand, giving spirtual direction when its needed the mo

We can rest assured that, if this actually happened, the picture will be splashed on the cover of Awake! magazine and the JW's generosity heralded far and wide at conventions among the JWs themselves. The left hand will know what the right has done and it will be milked and milked and milked.

• Mary
    Mary
    I definitley saw a JW on the telly wading through the water, mags in hand, giving spirtual direction when its needed the most ( ok so his wellies didnt match his suit, but it was still a good witness)

Isn't it wonderful to see how Jehovah is guiding and directing His servants here on earth?

• sir82
    sir82

I will be the first to admit that there are major problems within the WT, and they are far from the religion Jesus set up while on earth, but....

The WT, while relatively wealthy with real estate, is primarily a publishing company. It has limited cash resources, and there aren't that many Witnesses--and few of those that are trained to help in emergency situations.

Doesn't it make sense to spend the limited amounts of money and manpower helping "their own" first of all?

Would you criticize a man who went into the floodwaters to rescue his family first, perhaps ignoring others who were in peril along the way?

So why criticize the WT if (1) they are not designed to be a source of help in times of crisis, and (2) they choose to expend what resources they do have in helping those that they consider to be their "extended family" first of all?

I expect to get flamed for this, but I just wanted to throw it out there....

• daystar
    daystar
    Isn't it wonderful to see how Jehovah is guiding and directing His servants here on earth?

It is, indeed, very upbuilding!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit