Do any Bible passages/stories make you emotional or cry

by Cygnus 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I've always liked the one about the woman who was going to be stoned for adultery in John 8:1-11

7. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them,
    "Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."
    8. And once again he bent down and wrote on the ground.
    9. When they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the elders;
    and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him.
    10. Jesus straightened up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one
    condemned you?"
    11 . She said, "No one, sir." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you.
    Go your way, and from now on do not sin again."

In religion class, we were also once told that, according to tradition, what Jesus was writing on the ground were the very sins of those that were ready to stone her.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I feel kind of disgusted when I read of Lot offering his two daughters to a crowd of men who were trying to get into his house, as if they were worthless chattel. Another similar account relates a guy who actually did hand over his servant-girl to a mob, who raped her until she died. Next morning, he collects her body and goes about his way. Yeech.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    But Peter said: "Man, I do not know what you are saying." And instantly, while he was yet speaking, a cock crowed. 61

And the Lord turned and looked upon Peter, and Peter recalled the utterance of the Lord when he said to him: "Before a cock crows today you will disown me three times." 62 And he went outside and wept bitterly.goose bumbs every time

• Room 215
    Room 215

My votes go to Joseph's reunion with his brothers, and Jesus' parables of the Prodigal Son and of the Pharisee and the Penitent Tax Collector (Luke 18:10).

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

the lazarus passage. when jesus starts crying because he sees mary cry.

and the last supper to cruzifixion part. i've always had tears in my eyes in the memorial.

but now it all doesn't have much impact on me anymore, at least in the context of "ransom". however, i love to see reinterpretations of the account, like judas being disappointed by jesus for not fighting against the romans and thus "betraying" him to make him fight.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Thanks, great replies!

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

"Those aren't tears, we're just vomiting through our eyes"

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

The death of Jesus story always used to choke me up.

GBL

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Discussing some of the Stories at the Meetings certainly used to bore me to tears.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

numbers 31 causes me to get angry...not so much because it shows Moses to be a War Criminal, by ordering the murder of defenseless women and children, but because believers can rationalize and justify it so easily as if these people were not people at all, just trash that Israel had the right to burn because god said so.-- I find it funny how these same believer can fight so hard against abortion of the unborn and yet not care one bit about the murder of the already alive. see also Deut 21

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit