Why No Knocking ???

by Jeannine 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Hi Jeannine -
    Welcome to JWD. I really enjoyed this thread.
    For some reason this comment actually made me laugh out loud:

"I am ready to hang a sign on my door that says, "Stop leaving what amounts to death threats in my screen door, you nutcase". I am trying so hard to be nice."

I completely understand your annoyance and for some reason - i think the 'nutcase' comment - made me laugh. (Thanks!)

If your 'visitor' is showing up early in the morning (before 9:30) then I suspect he is padding his hours but dropping magazines off on his way to the meeting for field service. It's a trick full-time Watchtower preachers use to increase the number of hours that they report at the end of the month.

The people in his car group are probably happy wait while he struggles up your stairs because they are all 'counting time' while sitting in the car chatting amongst themselves.

Thanks for posting. Other comments here brought me back to a time in my life that seems so very, very far away. I hope to hear from you again. Poke around a bit. There's some interesting - and just plain fun! - stuff on this site.

-Aude.

• steve2
    steve2
    I just wish my husband was a rude enough person to tell this JW to take his mags and leave our house alone.
    What a friggin annoyance. Don't JWs realize that people work hard all week and just want to relax in their pajamas on Saturday mornings?

I appreciate your situation! Your husband sounds like he is way too nice - a quality that selfish JWs milk for all it's worth. Personally, whether they've spoken to you or not is immaterial. Fact is, they're repeatedly coming unbidden onto your property, and leaving their little droppings: You are involved whether you like it or not. You don't have to be rude - although it might help! A few well chosen and firmly delivered words is all it takes.

For example, "I've noticed you've been coming onto our property for several weeks in a row and leaving your literature. I feel I must tell you that you are not welcome and I do not want you coming back. Now good day!".

If the JW acts all innocent and wants to talk about it, use the "stuck needle" technique: Repeat the above line even more firmly looking the unsuspecting JW in the eye.

If you find you have to repeat yourself a third time - which I suspect you won't have to do - it is fast approaching grounds for claiming the JW is tresspassing.

Although difficult, the choice is yours: keep your poor stomach churning from the knowledge that the JWs are using your property as a dispatch depot for their droppings or stand up to them and acquire some really good assertiveness skills in the process!! Good luck.

• trevor
    trevor

Jeannie

This guy is just trying to do what he feels is right. He cares enough about you to warn you of the danger he feels you are in . They are not really ‘death threats.’ To be real death threats you would have to believe it to be the truth, in which case his warnings would be seen as an attempt to save your life.

You just have to feel sorry for these people who live in perpetual fear of being executed along with their families if they displease the God they are commanded to love!

They live with death threats you can live your life in freedom. Who are the losers?

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Welcome. I agree with what everyone else said, he is using your house as a "return visit". It could be that he doesnt care about preaching anymore and since he knows you dont care anyway he is using your house to show others that he has a call. In other words he is just trying to play the JW game since he'll feel guilty if he doesnt go out in the ministry.

I am at this stage somewhat in that I go to doors and dont push the doorbell all the way in or I just go to return visits that I know for sure wont get into anything deeply religious... they talk about fishing, politics, or work instead. It is a sad way to live and so just hope he comes around and learns the real truth someday.

• vitty
    vitty

I remember leaving mags regularly with a woman, who always accepted them. Then one day her husband opened the door and with the biggest smile said "no thankyou" I replied that his wife generally had the mags off me when I called and he said really sweetly that shes too embarrist to say no and that she doesnt really want them and they go in the the bin!

I felt really sick to my stomach, that I hadnt read this womans true feelings and that she just wanted me to go away.

You have to be firm, and your husband has to do it !

Oh and welcome

• Legolas
    Legolas

Jeeprude got it right:

He's using you to build his stats. You're a number on a piece of paper to him.
  • katiekitten
    katiekitten

Find out where he lives, poke the magazines back through his letter box and put a sticky note on them saying "you cant count this as a placement on your monthly report".

He will soon stop bothering to come round and drop them off if he cant count them.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

You have been very nice to this witness. Witnesses dont get much of that and so they milk it where they can. Most of us here have done what this man is doing.

The sad fact is that he looks forward so much to the "New world" wherehe will be as fit as the rest . He has to perform his ministry so that he might "Save yourself and those who listen to you " from a horrible death at Armageddon and then live in paradise.

You have got to be firm, he seems to be one of the thick skinned ones who do not take a hint. When I was doing what he does, the final end of a regular call would often be when the householder left the books out, neatly wrapped obviously unread , with a note saying that I could have them back

He knows the "call", as they say ,will end one day but he will keep it going untill you make it very plain that it is not wanted

• sf
    sf

Gary basically nailed it in his post.

If you think, for one second, these people have your best interest at heart and that their intentions are true, thus the time spent coming to you and the notes, then you are prime for the sucking in.

It's all about, KEEPING THEIR EYES ON THE PRIZE OF EVERLASTING LIFE! And NOTHING else matters! He isn't doing any of it for your benefit. Keep that utmost in your mind when dealing with these people. The are the best when it comes to perfectly selecting the right mask to put on when they step out into the world they abhor so much and are awaiting its destruction at the hands of their WT God, Jehovah. [ if needed, please repeat this paragraph to yourself ten times ]

It's a well-oiled machine. As long as you keep pumping more oil into it, it will keep running.

I like the garbage can idea!

sKally

• Jeannine
    Jeannine

Thanks everyone for your advice and insight. I guess being nice to this JW hasn't paid off. If he comes knocking again, I'll politely tell him that we aren't interested. If he persists, then I'll have to let him know that I believe he is a lunatic whose mental illness rivals his physical illness. I pride myself on being a respectful person, so I hope it doesn't come down to me having to insult this guy. This board is great and I am glad I found it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit