Thou shall not kill? Makes no sense?

by free2beme 24 Replies latest jw friends

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Yea, they had all had their nob ends cut off. But even so.

Who would voluntarily have their bell end butchered because someone they knew had porked someone of another religion, and that someones brothers had gotten so self rigteous and blinkered about the aforementioned porking incident that they all willingly went under the jew knife to keep the peace?

And what did they do with all that spare butchered erectile tissue? Make purses that rubbed up into suitcases for when they went on holiday?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

KK just as my half penny

The Defilement of Dinah

The Hebrew word that is translated “took” in the phrase “he took her” can mean “to take away, sometimes with violence and force; to take possession, to capture, to seize upon” (Wilson, Old Testament Word Studies, s.v. “take,” p. 435). Commenting on the phrase that Shechem “spake kindly unto the damsel” (Genesis 34:3), one scholar said it means:

“Literally, he spake to the heart of the damsel—endeavoured to gain her affections, and to reconcile her to her disgrace. It appears sufficiently evident from this and the preceding verse that there had been no consent on the part of Dinah, that the whole was an act of violence, and that she was now detained by force in the house of Shechem. Here she was found when Simeon and Levi sacked the city, verse 26.” (Clarke, Bible Commentary, 1:207.)

The outrage of Simeon and Levi was justified, but to deceitfully set up a whole town for slaughter on the pretext of bringing them into the covenant was an evil and wicked thing. Jacob’s blessings on these two sons just prior to his death (see Genesis 49:5–7) show that neither he nor the Lord condoned this act.

5 Simeon and Levi are brethren; instruments of cruelty are in their habitations.
    6 O my soul, come not thou into their secret; unto their assembly, mine honor, be not thou united; for in their anger they slew a man, and in their self-will they digged down a wall.
    7 Cursed be their anger, for it was fierce; and their wrath, for it was cruel; I will divide them in Jacob and scatter them in Israel.

Why Did Lot Offer His Daughters to the Wicked Sodomites?

Many scholars have tried to justify Lot’s shocking offer of his daughters as substitutes for the men on the basis of the strict laws of hospitality and protection that prevailed in the ancient Middle East. The Joseph Smith Translation, however, records that when Lot refused to allow the men of Sodom to satisfy their evil and depraved desires, they became angry and said, “We will have the men, and thy daughters also.” Then the comment is added, “Now this was after the wickedness of Sodom” (JST, Genesis 19:11–12; see also vv. 13–15). - makes a lot more sense. (ignore it if you want as JST stands for Joseph Smith Translation!)

6 But before they lay down to rest, the men of the city of Sodom compassed the house round, even men which were both old and young, even the people from every quarter;
    7 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came unto thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.
    8 And Lot went out of the door, unto them, and shut the door after him, and said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.
    9 And they said unto him, Stand back. And they were angry with him.
    10 And they said among themselves, This one man came in to sojourn among us, and he will needs now make himself to be a judge; now we will deal worse with him than with them.
    11 Wherefore they said unto the man, We will have the men, and thy daughters also; and we will do with them as seemeth us good.
    12 Now this was after the wickedness of Sodom.
    13 And Lot said, Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, plead with my brethren that I may not bring them out unto you; and ye shall not do unto them as seemeth good in your eyes;
    14 For God will not justify his servant in this thing; wherefore, let me plead with my brethren, this once only, that unto these men ye do nothing, that they may have peace in my house; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Never thought I'd ever say this, but the more I read how folks react to the Old Testament, the more I recognise that perhaps the Catholics seem to have the best understanding of the OT, and more to the point, its place in the post-Messiah world, and its relationship with the New Testament.

Christ summed the OT up in a sentence, so humankind could hopefully move forwards, not back to the bronze age.

• kid-A
    kid-A

I apologize for not having the exact reference, but on the back page of an older watchtower, there was a small editorial that clearly and explicitly came out in support of the death penalty....so much for christ-like forgiveness....

• under74
    under74

geez....you guys just crushed a 15 year old....not that my santa comment was any help...

Sorry Eva. We all come from different places, eh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit