Anyone read Da Vinci Code?

by ESTEE 29 Replies latest jw friends

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I'm an avid reader.

Rather than wrestling over it's statis as fiction or non, I realised that the goddess has been removed from recent history. Mary certainly is pushed aside in the new testament despite her being very close to and the first to see the resurrected christ. The church did decide what went into the bible as apparently new texts found in Egypt have just been deciphered that were written about christ previous to the gospels....

I thought the book itself lacked rythym and little buid up of characters

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

http://www.lisashea.com/hobbies/art/

This is quite interesting reading.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Ta Fleeman. I had a quick look. Yep more late night reading!!!

• kazar
    kazar

Yes, I read it. It was entertaining. I found the characters shallow. Much of the information in it was already known; matriarchal society vs. patriarchal society. As far as it being fact, as previously stated on posts here, it is pretty much fiction, though having been raised Catholic, I can see how it would fascinate and repel.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

My JW sister took this book on vacation last year.
    I was surprised. From the little I knew about it, didn't seem like something a diehard witness would read. Is it??

-Aude.

• eljefe
    eljefe

I listened to the audio book. It was a really good book and got me thinking and checking to see how much was fiction and how much was based on truth. I even watched a show that was on TV, The Da Vinci Code Fact or Fiction.

The part that surprised me the most was about Jehovah's female consort Shekinah (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=shekinah&btnG=Search).

• nowisee
    nowisee

yes i read it....and as i did my mind was blown. i was completely taken in by it.

then reality set in and i realized that the author took much artistic license for the sake of a good read....and again i realized that i must prove, confirm, question everything and everyone with an agenda, even if the agenda is only to make $$$, or maybe especially if the agenda is to make $$$.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The author has a very dim idea about what the theological controversies of the early Church were about.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I really enjoyed it. Although, I think that Jesus was a product of several myths coming together and perhaps one of the supposed Jesus of the time did have children and that is the grail. Who knows??? There is a movie coming out soon, I hope it is as good as the book.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I had mixed thoughts on it. While the cloak and dagger aspect of it was a draw for me, there were too many mistakes that I was aware of that spoiled it a good deal.

Not too long ago, I checked out a book from the library that pointed out all the historical mistakes having to do with scriptures and beliefs about Christ. It was an easy and very quick read. The author was Bart Ehrman. Here's the book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0195181409/102-9577673-8900948?v=glance

I'd also check out his other books like Lost Christianities which I found very informative and (very important to me) easy to understand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit