Oooo, now I'm a Satan worshipper - Care to respond to Dad's latest attack?

by Ingenuous 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

You're not going to be able to convince him of anything. The part about that letter that pisses me off the most, is how he's trying to lay the blame on you for the family shunning you. That's total bullshit! I wouldn't let him get away with it. You need to tell him that. Say something like, "Any study of the scripture I've ever done has only re-enforced how strong a family should be." Tell him that it is certainly not your intention to never associate with them again. To the contrary, you expect to go on loving them just as Christ would.

If you let him bully you into a corner, and take the blame for shunning you all his preconceptions will be proved right. Do what you want, but I wouldn't stand for it!

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Ingenuous,

Many years ago, when one my siblings decided it was enough and all they could take with the religion and decided to leave, my parents tried all kinds of tactics and emotional blackmail with this one sibling.

She in turn kept her distance as much as possible. Never directly answering to any of their attacks. I remember my parents complaining that whenever they tried to reason with her she'd just wish them well and find any silly excuse to end the conversation politely. They'd write long letter that would just go unanswered.

She moved away and only kept in touch with the siblings that would be reasonable. I happen to be one of them. Thank God!

Years went by, and when the parents softened up and gave up their WBTS cause with her, she then came around more often and now they have a very nice relationship in which they respect one another and, much to my dismay, my parents don't try any religion talk or tactics with her. I guess they learned the lesson that it would only get them shunned by her if they did.

Hang in there. Be polite and patient. Distance yourself for a while 'til they learn the lesson.

DY

• willyloman
    willyloman

Throw this back at him:

There must be a powerful influence at work for you to be ready to cut off ties with [me]. What are you pursuing that makes that kind of result worthwhile?

Everyone is free to believe what they please [which rights are guaranteed each of them in the U.S. Constitution].

10 Now I exhort YOU, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ that YOU should all speak in agreement, and that there should not be divisions among YOU, but that YOU may be fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought. . .

-- So, then, why aren't JWs in agreement with all the other Christians on the planet, fitly united in the same mind and line of thought, instead of being so damned contrarian about every picky little detail?

Do they agree on what "THIS" good news is? Jesus obviously had something specific in mind.
    --Do JWs agree on what the good news is? Are they consistent in the door to door preaching with respect to the good news, or are they just there reading from the latest Awake article on the green split-toed frog? Hint: What do "wordly" people know about JW doctrine following 125 years of preaching and the "placing" of billions of books and magazines? (Answer: nothing).

On second thought, never mind. It's probably a waste of your time.

• Quotes
    Quotes

OK, I can't get past Thought 3 w/o puking, so here are my pre-puke thoughts:

Thought 1:

Your father incorrectly blames *YOU* for the potential break in your relationship; if you would like to maintain the relation, but he is breaking it off, then you could/should very well turn it around on him, and has *HIM*: "There must be a powerful influence at work for you to be ready to cut off ties with daughter...What [cult] are you pursuing that makes that kind of result worthwhile?"

As for the police officer comment, well, it is quite simply a FALSE ANALOGY (a common logical error).

Thought 2:

Funny, but your dad is describing very well the humble origins of JWs (aka Bible Students). Russell printed that any bible student is free to believe or not believe as he sees fit:

===============
    *** Watchtower April 1, 1920, pp.100, 101 ***

We would not refuse to treat one as a brother because he did not believe the Society is the Lord's channel. If others see it in a different way, that is their privilege. There should be full liberty of conscience.
    ===============

So you dad is, unwittingly, condemning his own religion, at least as it used to be (but obviously not anymore). Based on his own comments, I guess that means his faith is built on a basis of false religion.

Thought 3:

This is another error in logic. I don't know the proper name for it, but I call it the "Can't Get Off the Merry-Go-Round" fallacy. It goes like this: Judge all other groups by the requirements set forth by JWs. Since no other group does/believes same as JWs, this proves the other groups are all false religion.

I have found those making this argument have trouble seeing the flaw; I guess because they are stuck onthe Merry-Go-Round. One way to help is to point out it could just as easily prove that Catholicism (or any other religion) is true, to wit:

"How do they feel about Virgin Mary, Mother Of God? Do they partake in the Eucharist? Do they have confession? NO????? Well then, obviously they are not a true religion. Stay with the Holy Cathoic Church, the others simply don't know the truth."

In other words: saying "JWs are THE true religion because no other religion believes what JWs believe" is just stupid.

~Quotes, of the "Logic" class

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

I've heard the "you must be under powerful influence to cut off your family".

That point can always be turned around. I say "i'm not cutting you off, I have no problem with what you're doing. You must be under powerful influence to cut off your child".

If you really want to stir some s*it just say you've taken one of those IQ tests from the scientologists and you are now finding a new path to improve your life. That will scare them.

Usually I play around with my mom and every few months I say I went to a new church, temple, synagogue etc... It drives her nuts.

• Bryan
    Bryan
    There must be a powerful influence at work for you to be ready to cut off ties with father, mother, sister, aunt, uncle, and grandmother.

This is the typical accusation by the Witnesses. It helps to ease their conscience.

Of course, they are taught, and expected, to shun those who leave... but it's your fault, your choice for us to do this to you.

Crazy!

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• Purza
    Purza

Well, you can do what I do -- I don't even respond to emails like that. When I used to respond they only make things worse and a shouting match (via email) occurrs. However, it appears your dad has his mind made up and there isn't a whole lot you can say to make him change it. Just my .02

I am sorry again you have to "endure" this kind of treatment.

Purza

• carla
    carla

Funny, I have tried to use the Bereans and like on my jw! trying to get him to see the script in context and question. Besides, the early church was not some harmonious place. They were filled with lively debate and even arguments. On top of that, when Paul admonished the Corinthians they never say anything was resolved. That is just an assumtion on the part of jw's. round and round, carla

• jillbedford
    jillbedford

I am in your corner. We all are.

Here are a few answers to the questions:

1. Do they vote or take political stances? Yes, because every vote counts. Doing nothing yeilds nothing.
    2. How do they view Jesus’ command on marriage and divorce? Thank God we live is a country where divorce is legal. Otherwise there would be more murders. Is that better?
    3. Do they include religious holidays in their personal worship? Yes, because the Bible, if you read a real one, not the NWT, does not condemn this.
    4. What are their feelings on homosexuality and fornication? Am I clueless, or did God go to the prostitutes and the tax collectors?
    5. What do they do about Jesus’ statement at Mt 24:14? The preaching is done is a non-intrusive constructive way. Not the time wasting fashion JW's pratice this.
    6. Do they agree on what “THIS” good news is? Jesus obviously had something specific in mind. Yes, he did. It is an unselfish free gift, of everlasting life that none of us deserve, but we get anyway.
    7. How do individuals feel about abortion? or lying? Abortion is equal to lying? The answer is, I would hope I would never find myself in a postion, where abortion is something I am looking in to. But I am glad it is legal and an option. I personally would not choose it, but it is my choice to not choose.

Do you open your studies with prayer? If so do you take turns praying to whatever is an individual’s idea of who God is? Yes, we pray, to the real Almighty God, not the judgemental God JW's think God is.

If you don’t pray and ask for guidance then how is Jehovah supposed to know that you are looking for truth and pure worship? Because God is Almighty and all knowing. He listens to all sincere prayers. You judgemental pharisee!!

I wish you the best on your continued battle. You will always have a sympathetic ear on this forum.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    What do they do about Jesus’ statement at Mt 24:14?

This made me think what the WTBTS do. Preach God's Word? If they did, they would just take a Bible out on FS and offer REAL Bible studies - and they wouldn't have to worry about their literature becomming apostate laughable Old Light every few years. But then again, where's the profit in that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit