JWs who were actually cool

by Black Man 39 Replies latest jw friends

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee
    Bill & Jerry Gillis.... Bethel

I'll second that. I worked with Jerry while at Bethel. I was only 19 at the time. I thought she was so hot too!

Alan Hood

Is currently a CO in my area. His brother, Richard, was in my congregation at Bethel. Both good guys.

-ithinkisee

• Black Man
    Black Man

I seem to vaguely remember the Gillis'. They were a nice couple..........

• defd
    defd

Defd.....

Thanxs you made my day!

• Tristram
    Tristram

"Lyn Newton - Elder in Phoenix, AZ He always had his own opinion about how things should be, was very daring when it came to the internet (JW related stuff) and didn't care what anyone thought about it. Could hold conversations about just about anything and he had a viewpoint, he liked to talk. He's no longer an elder and has alot to say about how the org operates. His wife is "odd" but they make it work. His son and I didn't see eye to eye. He was the perfect JW kid. Now I think he's in the military and I know he's df'd. "

Thom,

Is this the same Lynn Newton that wrote the Glossary of American English Hacker Theocratese?

I love it. http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~lnewton/glossary/

• M.J.
    M.J.

My wife's pretty cool.

• undercover
    undercover

To be fair...there were/are some pretty cool JWs. I think we get caught up in the lies and deceit of the WTS so much that we sometimes lump all the rank and file into this one large poopie pile...and that's not fair to many of the average JWs.

Most of my family are JWs and while there a couple of over-zealous types, the rest are just trying to get by, both as a human being and as a JW. They want to believe they are doing the right thing and try to be good people. But like many people in many other cults/religions/political groups/gangs they have been fooled and don't realize it. Unfortunately they have been conditioned to put the WTS above all else, including family.

Many of the JWs I grew up with I have maintained some contact with. Some elders are very cool guys...good family men, good fathers, good husbands. Some are funny guys with great sense of humor and a balanced view of life in general. If all elders were like the few that are cool, being a JW wouldn't be the big deal that it is - except for the teachings.

It's when an issue arises like the blood issue, child abuse, DFing, non-biblica teachings, that they no longer remain the cool, balanced person but become a staunch defender of the faith. It's sad to see someone who normally is smart and intelligent, happy and fun, turn into such a closed-minded cult member when their belief system is questioned.

• SadElder
    SadElder

There have been some we've known along the way who were great people and a real boost to others.

Weldon Howze, kind and considerate.

Met a Bethelite when we were doing our volunteer shifts from the Society's recording studio - Doug Loudin, didn't stay long at Crooklyn, think they probaby drove him crazy. Had good insight.

Way back we remember Jim Hinderer, a CO later called to teach TMS school. Probably more a company man now. Back then just a regular kind of guy.

Wonder where they are and what they think of things now?

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Some cool Bethelites I remember:

Joe Galego

Brian Fallon

Brent Pike

Chad Luellen

Jeff Byrum

Dan Bell

Aurelius Ransom

Mike Ferrino

Abraham Mendoza

Mike Cunningham

Jeff Kelley

Ed Aljian

Bob Rodish

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Ray Hartman was the guy's name. Alan and Sister Hood were certainly funny, but stuck up, and hated the Buffalo cold. Cool to hear about them ten years after I knew them.

• Black Man
    Black Man

bump it up.........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit