Were You Appalled When You First Saw "Life Of Brian"?

by Englishman 55 Replies latest jw friends

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Romanes eunt domus? The Romans they go the house?

I loved that movie.

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

My brother introduced me to this movie while i was still under JW control but was Df'd at the time and found the movie extremely funny. Maybe a JW seeing this movie and finding it funny does have hope of leaving the chains of the religion.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

I also saw it as a JW. I recommended it to all those I knew would appreciate it.

And lots did. Privately of course.

My wife bought me a fantastic book on Monty Python a couple of years ago for Christmas (I've just walked across the room to find it and then remembered I move house tomorrow and it's in a box!) There is an amazing 25 - 30 pages on the Life of Brian, the thoughts behind it, the way they wrote and developed it and the controversy surrounding it.

It turns out that they WERE originally going to take the piss out of Jesus. Eric Idle suggested a working title of "Jesus Christ - Lust for Glory!" In order to research the subject and to compile material and ideas for the sketches, they decided that they would all go away for a couple of months, separately, read the Gospels and then get back together to kick around their ideas. When they re-convined a couple of months later they were all unanimous that actually Jesus was quite a cool, revolutionary guy who spoke a lot of sense and actually there wasn't alot to take the piss out of and it wouldn't be very cool or particularly funny to do so. However, they thought taking the piss out of organised religion had lots of potential! So they decided to poke fun at how religion could totally make a mockery of a great man's words. Brian was born, set in the forefront with Jesus as a backdrop and the rest is history!

All the above is straight from the the book in black and white. So anyone who thinks the film is blasphemous is NOT the Messiah. He's a VERY naughty boy. . . Now piss off!

Crucifiction? You lucky, lucky barrr. . . stard! Used to drrreeeam of crucifiction!

• talesin
    talesin

Ah, I love all MP, and grew up watching them on TV (... and now, for something completely different!). Life of Brian was my first real laugh at religion after I left the JW. "What? The Greek shall inherit the earth?"

t

• TonyT
    TonyT

[a line of prisoners files past a jailer]

Coordinator: Crucifixion?

Stan: Yes.

Coordinator: Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

[Next prisoner]

Coordinator: Crucifixion?

Stan: Er, no, freedom actually.

Coordinator: What?

Stan: Yeah, they said I hadn't done anything and I could go and live on an island somewhere.

Coordinator: Oh I say, that's very nice. Well, off you go then.

Stan: No, I'm just pulling your leg, it's crucifixion really.

Coordinator: [laughing] Oh yes, very good. Well... Stan: Yes I know, out of the door, one cross each, line on the left.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

always loved it. lot's of witnesses love it, though you have to be careful who you are watching it with. some can get pretty upset... talking from experience.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Monty Python's "Life of Brian" is a joy. Just seeing the title to Eman's thread brought a huge grin to my face.

"Now look, no one is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle. Even--and I want to make this absolutely clear---even if they do say 'Jehovah.'"

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Loved it even as a jw

I saw an interview with Micheal Palin once and he said he was appalled at the reaction to the movie. He said that they were spoofing religious dogma, not christ. That he had the greatest respect for jesus and could'nt see anything funny in the man himself, only what was created in his name....

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I saw it with some elders kids in my congregation. I think I was more shocked that they were watching it and enjoying it so much. They always were prancing about the place trying to be all holier then thou

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    No the first time I saw it I was an appointed elder - and I laughed my f-----g ass off. One of the best films of all times - every sperm is sacred

wrong movie stilla....that one is the meaning of life...still brill tho so what have the romans done for us

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit