HAS A CUCKOO LAID AN EGG IN YOUR BRAIN? (Ideas: whose are they?)

by Terry 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry
    I don't think that it is confusing me. I am pointing out that peoples' thoughts and concepts of something, a table in this case, is never totally accurate, never complete. I doubt that the real reality is ever comprehended in totality.

100 per cent accuracy is the GOAL of a reasonalbe person commited to rational thinking.

The fact that it is next to impossible doesn't mean we abandon the goal.

Think of it this way, if you will.

A great many tainted and false ideas and phoney concepts are like TERRORISTS who want to disrupt and destroy your way of life. The fact you will never catch all of them means you redouble your efforts to find out ways to keep them out, right? You don't just throw up your hands and shrug them off, you see.

Wrong ideas, false premises and erroneous "facts" put us on a false trail to nowhere. That nowhere is often a dead end. It wastes our time and our life's resources. We strive to get things right the FIRST time; but are keen to continue recalibrating constantly.

LIFE IS A STRUGGLE; we can never afford to relax our vigilance or the "terrorist" ideas take hold.

I think this analogy shows the importance of our alertness to error.

Terry

• Terry
    Terry

Terry go and smell the flowers

Life is illogical

LIFE is the span of time we are alive trying to keep our head above the water as we swim.

The rational man doesn't dog paddle in place. The reasonable man plots a course and heads for a point.

The efforts of struggle are either FOR something or they are meaningless expenditures of energy.

I don't think you REALLY think we should not impose non-contradictory thought on our life's purpose. Now do you?

Terry

• Satanus
    Satanus

Math is pretty good. Yet, many things are beyond it's power of definition. Pi, for instance (spelling?) As well, it has some problems w defining exact position and velocity of an object at the same time.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus
    A great many tainted and false ideas and phoney concepts are like TERRORISTS who want to disrupt and destroy your way of life. The fact you will never catch all of them means you redouble your efforts to find out ways to keep them out, right? You don't just throw up your hands and shrug them off, you see.

Wrong ideas, false premises and erroneous "facts" put us on a false trail to nowhere. That nowhere is often a dead end. It wastes our time and our life's resources. We strive to get things right the FIRST time; but are keen to continue recalibrating constantly.

True enough.

S

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    BEWARE THE MAN WHO TELLS YOU :

1.You can't "know" anything. (Although he seems to "know" that, doesn't he?)

2.You can't rely on logic because it is manmade and imprecise. (And uses logic to present that view)

3.Each person has their own reality; what is true for one person isn't true for another. (This relativism is taught in University Philosophy classess and disables the thinking of whole generations of students).

4.You can't define this or that.

Wow Terry, I truly agree with you. I particularly hate #3, which is still ruining generations of students as the relativist students who were taught by relativist professors are now teaching or lecturing relativist philosophy. I also happen to despise existentialism, which is quite similar to relativism, in a way.

• Confession
    Confession

If you carefully read the first post, you'll discover that Terry is basically saying...

It's easy to let another person's perception become your perception. We should be vigilant against letting that happen by making sure we have defined and tested the things we believe in.

I think we can all agree with that one. This main idea may have ambled down another road because of certain statements made about there being one truth and powerful expressions about logic and reason. It gave some of us the flavor that he was suggesting, since there is only one truth, if we all just used our heads more we'd be able to arrive at the same conclusion. While Terry's posts may be expressed with a certain air of The Authority, I'm convinced this isn't what he was trying to convey.

Terry, correct me if I'm wrong, but you know that even if the greatest and most logical minds were to devote themselves to the understanding of something complex, that (even though there is in fact one truth) there would very likely still be disagreements among them, no? If this is the case then you are actually saying--not that we must all arrive at the same understanding--but that we should at least do our very best to make sure our beliefs and ideas are our own, and not the deposits of some cuckoo.

• Terry
    Terry
    Terry, correct me if I'm wrong, but you know that even if the greatest and most logical minds were to devote themselves to the understanding of something complex, that (even though there is in fact one truth) there would very likely still be disagreements among them, no? If this is the case then you are actually saying--not that we must all arrive at the same understanding--but that we should at least do our very best to make sure our beliefs and ideas are our own, and not the deposits of some cuckoo.

Man has figured out how to feed billions.

Man has discovered how the heaven's move to such a degree of accuracy he can aim a heavy metal vehicle at a tiny stone swirling in the vast universe, lift it in defiance of gravity and land there and return.

Man has powered teaming cities that lay in darkness with electric lights. Man has cooled buildings so tall the ancients would faint at their exquisite proportions.

The mind of man has penetrated the beautiful secrets of existence in mapping the human genome. He has harnessed the power of the tiniest component of nature: the atom. He has extended the life span from 30 or 40 years to double or more. He has created replacement parts for the heart and limbs.

The intellect of man has given us travel at supersonic speeds; flights to the moon, glimpses of the farthest reaches of the universe and scrutiny at the most vanishingly small components of nature itself.

Man is self-improving, self-programming and unlimited. He can only be thwarted by abandoning his supreme advantage over all other life forms: REASON itself. When man doubts his own worth, as religion teaches him he must, he withers and cowers under the shadow of fear projected from malevolent minds who seek to use him as a leech uses the wayward flesh of unwitting prey. The mystics rob man of his labor and create an idle nothing in its place.

When reason is abandoned; when the rational mind is doubted as a power to inform, the light goes out in the citidel of man's integrity and he becomes the most useless of all creatures as he serves the whims of others. In the role of slave and servant, man is but a fool's fool. He is a trinket, a bauble around the neck of latter day Atillas and Hitlers to use as they will. To answer your question specifically:

Men need not have identical understandings to be men. No. To be men they must mightily strive to reach for the heavens with a sharpness of eye and quickness of thought to appraise the means by which miracles can be wrought by dint of sheer keeness of observation, calculations and cunning.

The greatest immorality is the abandonment of reason. The open door to evil is when men shrink from absolute adherence to what reality informs them must be true. Man must never waver in his thirst, his passion for a path to self-perfection. A goal he knows he'll never achieve; but, the magnificence of the prize empowers his quest none-the-less.

Doubt everything until it is proved to your satisfaction. Let your standard be the highest imaginable. Be ruthless in uprooting dissonant and tainted ideas which serve you ill. Always be willing to be wrong while endeavoring to be as right as a 90' angle. Demand excellence and tolerate no compromise with error. Make fierce war upon fallacy, superstition and second-hand hearsay. Allow no breach in your excellence and you'll be well on your way toward plucking the stars of heaven from their perch to illumine your mind with the bright and earnest brilliance of superlative skill in thinking golden thoughts studded with transcendant IDEAS.

Terry

p.s. I hope this answers your query

• talesin
    talesin
    PERCEPTION OF REALITY is your ability to focus on the details and bring them clearly into defining measurement so that you can act in a way that benefits you.

By your definition, but YOUR definition is not the only one,,, and certainly not the definitive one, as far as I'm concerned. PERCEPTION OF REALITY is how each___individual___perceives___it___, and nothing more. In an ideal world, PERHAPS it would be "defining measurement so that you can act in a way that benefits you",,, but an ideal world, my friend, is NOT reality.

tal

• talesin
    talesin

(lol, Terry, I am not too tired for debate this week!

I am enjoying your defense of this premise, and playing the Devil's advocate. )

t /

• Carmel
    Carmel

Was it the Cuckoo or English Starling?

caveman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit