Poverty in Poland

by katiekitten 23 Replies latest jw friends

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Im watching the BBC now, and theres a report about ex coal miners in Poland. They have no jobs, and so instead they attack coal trains, hang onto the side and pull the wagon doors open while the train in moving. Then people move in and collect the spilled coal from the side of the tracks.

They live on less than £2 a day. They are supporting families and children from the coal they manage to scavange and sell from the side of the tracks.

Sad thing is I could go on holiday to Poland tomorrow. I could get a flight, book into a nice hotel with towels, hire a car and look around like everything was OK, eat the local food in the resataurants, and maybe sit in a room with a nice coal fire burning.

Im so lucky to be so rich, compared to the rest of the world.

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

For some strange reason I'm having trouble posting

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Polands in the EU now too!

Wtf is going on.I doubt there has ever been a Country that has been so shafted throughout History like Poland has.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Katiekitten – with all due respect,

I've just finished a book titled Success Without a College Degree. One of the recommendations made toward the end of the book is:

Do not waste time worrying about world hunger or other huge problems – unless you intend to act. Either figure out how to help, or dismiss it from your mind. Guilt-tripping yourself will not feed anybody.

So –

Has anyone set up a fund for the unemployed Polish miners? Might your local branch of Oxfam know who to contact? What about the Red Cross?

How about contacting the BBC and asking them?

gently feral

• roybatty
    roybatty
    Polands in the EU now too!

Wtf is going on.I doubt there has ever been a Country that has been so shafted throughout History like Poland has.

I was reading in the paper on Sunday that there is this "fear" in France of cheap Polish workers coming in and driving down wages. And because of this fear, the French voted down the EU constitution. Supposedly now there are billboards all over France warning people not to hire cheap Polish help. Is this true?

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Roy

Im not too certain about that,but one has to say that France will do anything and everything to look after themselves and themselves only.Though,many think this is an admirable attitude to have.

Im confident that wouldnt happen in Britain .

• chrissy
    chrissy

GF,

Do not waste time worrying about world hunger or other huge problems – unless you intend to act.; Either figure out how to help, or dismiss it from your mind. Guilt-tripping yourself will not feed anybody.&

She actually does a lot by encouraging commerce and tourism....

I could get a flight, book into a nice hotel with towels, hire a car and look around like everything was OK, eat the local food in the resataurants, and maybe sit in a room with a nice coal fire burning.

There is so much history and gorgeous architecture in Warsaw, Krakow, etc. If people were as interested in visiting eastern european cities as they are western, they could have quite a lucrative industry going on here.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Where's Pole?

I'd like to hear his comments.

u/d (of the doesn't believe anything 100% if it's on TV class)

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

U/D Where's Pole?

I'd like to hear his comments.

Me too........ oh yeah thats right he is from Poland :-)

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Wow am I a total thread killer or what?

Sorry KK....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit