Poverty in Poland

by katiekitten 23 Replies latest jw friends

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    Do not waste time worrying about world hunger or other huge problems – unless you intend to act

Gently Feral, thank you, I think thats excellent advice. If you dont intend to do something I guess its just maudling sentimantalism. Just now and again though things still get to me that I cant do anything about.

Pole - thankyou for that insight. What you have explained is really interesting, and shows (as Gently Feral suspected) that my maudling sentimentalism was wasted! Id really like to visit Poland sometime, but its SOO BIG. Where do you start?

I prefer travelling to tourism - that is, I prefer to hire a car and just look round on my own, rather than go to a tourist area with tourist hotels and shops, and transfer coaches from airport to hotel. I was given an address and phone number from a Polish Law graduate on my doorstep trying to sell childrens encyclopaedias (!) - he said I must visit, and can get in touch with him. WELL - im old enough to be his mother so best not put myself in temptations way!!

• Pole
    Pole

katie,
    My suggestion to get started with Poland is: Krakow - Wieliczka - Oswiecim (Auschwitz) - and (possibly) - Zakopane. These places are within a reasonable distance from each other, so you can visit them in a single trip.
    Krakow - the second historical capital of Poland. Lots of medieval architecture, old churches, one of the oldest universities in Europe, and a castle with tombs of Old Polish kings and a dragon (according to the legend at least). Krakow is basically the historical heart of Poland. Tonnes of foreigners make a nice atmosphere. Cheap dentists :-) (I've heard lot's of Brits and Germans come here to treat their teeth and travel around ;-).
    Wieliczka Salt Mine (World Heritage site) - 1 million tourists per year go there for a reason. "Spread over nine levels, it has 300 km of galleries with works of art, altars, and statues sculpted in the salt, making a fascinating pilgrimage into the past of a major industrial undertaking."
    The Auschwit Concentration Camp Museum - I don't think I have to explain much here. A visit to this place may have a "purifing" effect.
    Zakopane - a bit further to the south, it's the capital of the Polish Tatra Mountains and the distinctive Polish Highlander ("Gorale") culture. Beautiful mountains, lakes and lots of folk culture.
    You could start with Krakow and then see how many places you can visit from there (Wieliczka and Oswiecim are a must, Zakopane is an option).
    I live in Lodz (central Poland). Let me know, if you happen to be passing by.
    Cheers,
    Pole

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Wow, thank you. Now my apetite is really whetted - I mean, youre only 26!

(oh yea, and all that other cool stuff you mentioned)

I think im allowed to flirt now you are in the EU?

• Pole
    Pole

::I think im allowed to flirt now you are in the EU?
    I'm sure there is even an EU directive on the free movement of flirters ;-)
    Pole

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit