Do you think this is tacky and just plain pathetic (Watchtower) ?????

by run dont walk 29 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

I just returned from Ontario, where a family member died, I was reading the obit, and I know its been said millions of times, but this really blew me away.

"A private family burial at ______ cemetery. A Memorial Service will be held at the Kingdom Hall Of Jehovah's Witnesses on Saturday August 13, 2005 at 2:00 P.M. As expressions of sympathy, please send donations to World Wide Work Of Jehovah's Witnesses."

In death, please send us money, don't buy flowers or other non valuable things.

Any thoughts ............

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3
    please send donations to World Wide Work Of Jehovah's Witnesses

This just screams CULT to me.

• jgnat
    jgnat

When my stepmom passed away, my staff pooled their resources and bought flowers AND a donation to the Cancer Society. The Cancer Society provided a lovely card informing me of the donation.

I was touched all over again by their thoughtfulness.

Do you think the WTS has similar cards for mourners?

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

I sat here closing my eyes and opening them again, in the hope I had misread what I just read. But I did not...
    This is outragious...

hope can you ask for something at such a time (especially the WWW)

Scary people

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Well, if the family and deseased wanted this, I don`t see a problem with it. Maybe the dead guy was a JW, and it was his will. I do see a problem with how they crash funerals, and simply take over funerals, when they get a chance to, though. I have really bad experiences with JWs and funerals. One of them came to preach at my moms funeral. My mom was a JW, but only one of her 5 children has remained in the cult. So we decided, on a 4 - 1 vote (lol) to bury her properly, in a church. That didn`t stop one of them though, from coming to the funeral, only to walk around afterwards trying to convert us 4 apostates back into dubdom, saying shit like "when something like this happens, it should really make you think", pulling out a scrapbook of newspaper-articles of disasters around the world, claiming this was surely the end times! (ffs !!!). I should have knocked him down right there and then. If I ever have to bury a close one again, and they show up again, I definitely will. They "took over" the burial of my non-jw grandpa on my fathers side too. He didn`t have a religious bone in his body his whole life, but his daughter was a JW, and then she decided, of course, that he should be buried the JW-way. I had no idea, when I showed up for the funeral (which was held at the hospitals chappel). Imagine my surprise when I saw the chapel filled with JWs, 90% of which had never even known my grandpa. When the speaker started saying all the "eternal life on an earthly paradise"-crap, I just stood up and left. Damn bastards.

• VM44
    VM44

Was there published a biography of the person? At least something about his life?

There have been some JWs who died and the newspaper only prints "NAME OF PERSON died on DATE. There will be a memorial service held at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses located at KINGDOM HALL LOCATION"

That type of announcement, with NO details at all about the person's life, is truly pathetic and sad.

--VM44

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    As expressions of sympathy, please send donations to World Wide Work Of Jehovah's Witnesses."

I'd sooner send flowers. A person only dies once. The watchtower will always be there. (unfortunately).

W

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

My great grandfather was not a religous man. He asked that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to his fishing club. He was not especially well known or anything, and only about 60 attended his funeral. The fishing club still got just over 15,000 bucks.

Imagine a dub, who knows roughly 250 people, and how much Crooklyn wuld make off of him.

I also HATE how the funeral talk becomes a public talk when given by a brother...

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I'll go one better: I saw an obit in our local paper a while back that stated at the end: "In lieu of flowers, please send monetary donations to [and then listed the two surviving adult daughters and their address]."

Miss Manners would NOT approve.

Nina

• prophecor
    prophecor

Things that make me go, hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit