• crankytoe
    crankytoe

Ok, I keep coming across vague references to jw fear of these,

PLEASE EXPLAIN what are the actual factual stories,

Thanks so much,

crank,

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here is the documentation on the "aluminum" phobia that the JWs had for decades (and many R&F continued to have even after the official view had been dropped):

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/aluminum.htm

As for the Smurfs, this was a local-level disapproval of the cartoon show that many JWs and JW children experienced, on the grounds that it is demonic and involves spiritism. This was a view verbally expressed by elders, COs, etc.; I don't know of anything published on it per se. I myself was a happy Smurfs watcher as a child.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Aluminum...LOL I never heard they had fear of that ....but In my nursing studies it is claimed it can cause Alzheimer's.

As for Smurfs....Don't you know they are demonized....LMAO

• carla
    carla

You should really spend some time at

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/index.htm

The smurfs aren't there but aluminum, cure for cancer, appendicitis is caused by biting worms, and many other 'old light' quotes from the wt are there. Just pick a subject.

Happy reading,

carla

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Well - I can't imagine where the Smurf thing came from (and wasn't aware ofit prior to this site), but Aluminium being number 13 on the Periodic table was clearly unlucky and so outlawed until Dubs abandoned superstition.

• rebel8
    rebel8

there were tales of smurfs coming alive in KHs and running around terrorizing people, or coming alive at night and beating up jw children

I was around for the smurf scare. we were not allowed to have smurfs or play with kids who did.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

The Golden Age , Sept. 23, 1936, p. 803.

• kid-A
    kid-A

The whole smurfs thing was some bizarre urban legend that ran through the rank and file in the early 80s.....the story was passed around from hall to hall that some dub kids owned a couple smurf teddy bears that would 1) start uttering demonic sayings and/or 2) start running up and down the curtains of the bedroom. At least, that was the 'toronto' version of the story....I dont think there was even any official WTS edict against the smurfs however.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I remember it being mentioned at an assembly that smurfs were bad because the cartoon was about magic. I can't recall if any of the urban legends were repeated from the platform or not.

• undercover
    undercover

I remember all the hoopla about the smurfs...It was passed from hall to hall by word of mouth, never in the publications.

But a lot of JW "rules of conduct" are passed by word of mouth from COs and elders on the platform but never in the publications. As bad as the publications can be, they are the watered down version that is available for all to read. It's when you become indoctrinated into the belief system that the real pressure to conform comes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit