How do I celebrate birthdays? Or Xmas?

by Rayvin 23 Replies latest jw friends

• daystar
    daystar

See what you started with Hibiscus for using X in Xmas?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/97085/1.ashx

• Es
    Es

Hi hun, Ive been celebrating christmas and bdays for nearly four years. With christmas i can hardly wait to put the tree up i think tradition is the first of Dec but i always do it late nov coz i cant wait. Some people with kids leave the press till the day before christmas so they can say santa brought them. I put them out straight away. I put a big santa sack on my sons bed the night before so when he wakes up thats the first thing he sees. With birthdays last year i had it at a big park with a bbq. I had balloons in the tress and a pinatta...i also chose a theme my son loves dinosaurs so everything was dinosaur related. Next birthday im having it at the Zoo. Best of luck es

• Valis
    Valis

With any holiday you have to find the special things that mean something to you. for instance, every XMAS my youngest child gets a teddy bear from me. It is something i have doen since she was born. Does not have to be specific, but even cooking something special for that day is good too. We always make eggs benedict and waffles on XMAS day plus all the fixings. If a recognized holiday means anything to you then you have to adopt it and make your own version, complete with meaning and lots of happiness. We are slaves to calendars and time, which tells me that I can either make something of it or just while away the time and be non-plussed . The former choice seems to make those around me most happy and gives me lots of fun/joy as far as giving and enjoying my time off. I really think many do not understand how holidays have become secular moments for giving and celebrating versus religious observances. The content and context of holidays will always change over time and if you don't change with it you are likely to be excluded or at least have no fun. Just my two cents.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer "Holiday Hedonistic" class

• prophesariah
    prophesariah

From one who has never been a JW ~

Depending on the age of your child and the season of his/her birth there are a wide variety of birthday parties you can have :

Indoor- at home, a hotel suite( access to swimming ,bring in own food or order,definitely have a cake,sleepover with other adult supervision /assistance) , Mickey D's*, Burger King*, Chucky Cheese's*, bowliig alley, roller skating rink(?), museum* ( we have a Please Touch Museum for kids)

Outdoor- your yard, the park near playground equipment, zoo*

* These places usually have a set time and plan for parties that you pay for and follow which makes it alot easier.

In general, you and/or your child pick out a theme. Purchase invitations representing that theme. Send them out to those you deem with an R.S.V.P. (a date set aside by when you want others to let you know whether or not they will be attending) approx. a week or two ahead of the party date. Make a call to those you do not hear from to get something definitive. This gives you time to inform caterers, make adjustments with special party places*, see what you may need to provide for your expected guests in the way of party favors, treats, prizes for game winners, food quantity, cake size, seating availability, etc.

Decorating for parties can be fun especially if you have friends/family to help. Go with your theme and match it with color in your balloons. crepe paper streamers, banners, paper or plastic plates,plastic cups,forks&spoons,tablecover,napkins, etc.

Plan for a period of age appropriate actitities/games- Pin the Tail On the Donkey. musical chairs, Twister, dance contests, make & take,

Sticker label name tags are good if the guests are not from just a single circle of your child's acquaintances.

Time to eat- hotdogs ,hamburgers, pizza, chicken nuggets/fingers/pieces, chips, pretzels, veggie tray, fruit tray, whatever...

Show a movie, have a story teller, magician, clown, pony rides, music & dancing. Have fun use your imagination.

Gather together to sing "Happy Birthday",blow out candles, cut cake, issue slices with or without ice cream

Open presents

Thankyou and goodbye ~" The party's over..." ~ It was good to see you ~ So glad you came... ~

Perhaps you'll have a few designated friends/family to assist in the cleanup

Look at about 3 to 4 hours.

Don't forget to send out thankyou notes to your guests for gifts received and/or their participation in your celebration. Your child may enjoy having a hand in this.

P.S. There are books you can purchase or get from the library on party planning. I'm sure you can probably Google the information also.

(PHew this took longer than I anticipated. I'll have to get back to you on the topic about Christmas.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit