JW Pioneer - Andrew Spicer - suicide in Shrewsbury - UK???

by Jim Dee 18 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

I'm the skeptic....I wonder if it wasn't a suicide? The guy just got married and started at a new cong. Seems a strange time to get despondent. I'd think the hustle and bustle of moving and marrying would at least temporarily counteract depression.

• steve2
    steve2
    I'm the skeptic....I wonder if it wasn't a suicide? The guy just got married and started at a new cong. Seems a strange time to get despondent. I'd think the hustle and bustle of moving and marrying would at least temporarily counteract depression

As a clinical psychologist working as part of a team in a major hospital, I am not at all skeptical. Suicide attempts and completions often occur within the context of major life changes (e.g., moving to a new area, change in status from single to married or vice versa). Also, from what I can gather, he was a young man - statistics show that young men have the highest rates of suicide completions of all age groups. Indeed, the hustle and bustle that you refer to may be the "straw" that proved too much. On the fact that he just go married: His family may never know one way or the other, but it is not unusual for people who pin all their hopes on a marriage helping them cope with a difficult or dreary life to quickly discover nothing's really changed and to feel such a failure that suicide is seen as the only solution.

• Cordelia
    Cordelia

this has made me think i actually know a few jws who killed themself, one was a deaf man from my old hall who hung himself upstairs and left loads of notes on every stair saying dont go up! (of course they went up!)

and a woman recently in a hall two congs away (she was depressed)

and a lad of 18 (my brothers friend) from mcr he hung himself in a wardrobe.(they think it may have been a mistake)

and at the 'famous' jah jireh homes the matron gassed herself in her car!

isnt that sad how many i can think of without even trying, shows what the religon drives people too.

• Es
    Es

How terrible thats so sad :(. es

• Englishman
    Englishman

The Shropshire Star reported a Telford railway death on the 27 / April and another, in Telford also, on 30 / May. Both deaths involved men in their 20's.

Englishman.

• Latte
    Latte

Hi Cordelia,

Just wondering if you knew of a James Wright ??

Apparently he was a 'talented arts graduate' who hanged himself - it could of been sometime last year, or the year before. I found a news cutting about it, thought you might know him??? It was probabably Stretford cong.

It's truly sad when a person feels so helpless

Jim....I have sent you a post!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Apparently he was a 'talented arts graduate' who hanged himself

When a person kill's himself by hanging, it is usually meant to send a message to those who are hurting him. Basically the message is: Look at this horrible thing you drove me to do.

• Latte
    Latte

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/news/s/125/125908_im_sorry_note_of_dadtobe_found_hanged.html

Hi Elsewhere,

I have just done a quick search and found the above news article. It certainly looks like he was very depressed.

One cannot put the whole blame on the JW's, but I can confidently say that the cult does not help a persons mental state.

I know of waaay too many suicides of JW's. I even know of a sad case relating to a disfellowshipping at the cong. that James Wright would likely of attended. It's all to close for comfort.

• mapleaf18
    mapleaf18

My super dub parents told me of a childhood friend who killed himself; was probably in his late 30's and i think a pioneer. Then another childhood friend, the younger of two sisters, killed herself after being newly married to a "good" dub. She was in her early 20's and had ULTRA dub parents (even worse than mine)!

That girl's auntie died by purposely (they did the research/police work) driving her vehicle off the road into a river. I can remember she was depressed for many, many years and all the while a "good dub."

It's sad to see so many young (and old) so called "good dubs" totally depressed to the point of suicide

I know a lot are linked to the feelings of inadequacy (to do MORE, MORE, MORE in hohoba's service), the feeling of being in lockstep with the GB, unnatural surpression of sexual urges, either hetero or homo, or being trapped in loveless or abusive young marriages. . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit