JW Pioneer - Andrew Spicer - suicide in Shrewsbury - UK???

by Jim Dee 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim Dee
    Jim Dee

There is a lot of cover up going on in the UK at the moment. Letters from the society etc to Shrewbury conga and some of the Kent congs.

One Andrew Spicer, Pioneer who married early April 2005 in a Kent Congregation moved to Shrewsbury area with his new wife to Pioneer. By 22 May 2005 he was dead. No coroners court has been yet held (Can take up to 6 months, however the society have issued instruction amongst the Kent congs as well as the Shrewsbury congs to keep the suicide under wraps, (no gossipping, keep the name of the truth clean etc etc). I spoke to the local registrars office and they have knowledge of the incident

The alledged suicide apparently was on the railway tracks.

Why did this happen? who knows. The society have given little comfort, the local congregation hate his name and everyone is trying to cover this tragedy up. Blacked the victim name and keep the congregations name clean

Watch this space - or does anyone have any more knowledge of this

Jim

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

This is really sad. I feel for him and those he left behind. (In that order) I will watch this space for updates. How sad!

• luna2
    luna2

How very sad...and how typical of the WTS to be more concerned with the rep of the organization first and foremost.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Why did this happen? who knows. The society have given little comfort, the local congregation hate his name and everyone is trying to cover this tragedy up. Blacked the victim name and keep the congregations name clean...another example of the "love" that jws have amongst themselves? This is so sad, I really feel for him and those he left behind, and the congregation's reaction is shocking, but not surprising

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Andrew Spicer...why do I feel like I recognise his name?

Jim, do you know if he spent any time in any Midlands congregations before he was in Kent?

• Latte
    Latte

That is so sad!

I have no knowledge of this, but i have heard about a a lady (sister?) who was attending the Tues book study ( which my mother was attending whilst visiting a friend there.)

The next day my mum heard that this lady had comitted suicide.

Strange how this is in the close proximity of the area you are talking about.

OMG When I recall all the other suicide deaths over the years......it makes me feel panic, and sadness for the mental state of those that are still 'in'.

• Gill
    Gill

This is another terrible tragedy.

I also know of another JW lady who killed herself a few weeks ago after making many attempts. She finally, sadly suceeded. This was kept totally secret, and I wouldn't have known except that my son was (illicitly) courting a JW girl, in her family.

If you're taught that in the future it's all going to be all right and perfect, perhaps it makes even less sense to stay and 'fight' your illness.

• steve2
    steve2

The hushed up element sounds familiar. Here in New Zealand in the mid 1980s, the wife of a brother who had been a circuit overseer for several years hung herself, leaving behind her husband and three young children. No one knew about it, but everybody did, if you know what I mean. The fact that it was discovered that she had silently suffered from major depression for years was bad enough; that her "brothers and sisters" played an elaborate game of "let's pretend" it didn't happen was disgusting.

• Jim Dee
    Jim Dee

I beleive he visited a few congs in the Telford area before settling on the Shrewsbury area, but thats all I know about his Midlands connections

The society are afraid that when the matter comes to the coroners court, the papers will get hold of it and Jehovahs name will be blackened, hence the active cover-up disguised as "Caring and not gossiping, giving a good witness etc etc"

The real issue here is protection of the corporate image and protection of funds. Should reporters at the coroners court become aware that this person was a pioneer and active witness then all publicity (aka Mr Paul Gilles in London Bethel will have something to do again) will break loose.

What of the families? They are broken people, shamed and rejected when they need love and care from Gods "loving" organisation - all the protect the society.

Where is the society when their members need protection? - Nowhere

Jim

• pratt1
    pratt1

Reminds me of a young newly married sister in "80's who threw herself off a high rise and killed herself, partly because of being in a bad marriage, to an abusive husband and not receiving any help from her elder father or the body of elders in her hall for herself or her infant daughter.

Most of the details of her suicide was covered up to save embrassment for her "congo" and her elder father.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit