Could You Stay Friends With Someone Who Visited Prostitutes?

by Englishman 78 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

A while back, an aquaintance of mine told me that he liked to visit prostitutes. Although we weren't that close, I'd worked on and off with him over the years. I knew his wife too and would often see her around town.

He'd told me that when he had something to celebrate, like his birthday or maybe a commercial win, he and a pal of his would do the pubs and clubs first and then go kerb crawling until they found a pair of street girls who would play the swopsy's scene. He said it was excellent fun, a great crack, and of course, going whoring was not like being unfaithful....not like having an affair or anything like that.

Huh?

Well, that's the way he is. However, since he told me all this I have had no desire to have anything more to do with him. I just feel repelled. He doesn't live near to us anymore, so I no longer see him around. In fact, when he contacted me to ask if he and his wife could come visit, I just froze him out. I just don't want a guy like that in my home. I don't want him in my life!

There's a part of me that feels as though I'm being priggish, but I still don't want any contact even if I am being judgemental. It's just an instinctive reaction that I feel.

Am I being priggish?

Englishman.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

I do not see any wrong in visiting prostitutes, but cheating on your spouse is very wrong.

If I would still be friends with someone, all depends on the circumstances probably.
    There are different levels of friendship also.

Danny

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Am I being priggish?

(Piggish = of low moral values. Prudish = of overly conservative moral values. Priggish = ? Note to self: Check Amazon.com to see if there's a "dictionary" for English slang terms so I can better communicate on this forum!)

Assuming that means prudish.....I think that's a subjective term. To me, no. To your friend, probably. I hope to hell most people don't sleep with prostitutes, but what do I know.

Recently I was hit on by a swingers' couple. I didn't realize what their intentions were until someone pointed it out to me. I would have never guessed it. I was really, really offended.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

If he is doing it behind his wifes back, then I wouldn't have anything to do with him, but if his wife knows and allows it, it would possibly be a different story...

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    Am I being priggish?

Well, that depends on what "priggish" means.

Personally, I would think it's a normal reaction. Obviously you find him untrustworthy and it wasn't fair for him to tell you this, and expect you to keep it from his wife. I'm sure that's a big part of what's bothering you about it all.

However, if his wife knew, and was OK with it I would imagine it would be a different story.

Kwin

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

No you are not being priggish, you are being a decent human being.

How would his wife feel if she found out? She would wonder if she had got too boring, too heavy, too old fashioned. She would examine every part of her life to try and find out what it was she couldnt give him that a prostitute (URGH) could. It would devastate her self esteem.

How would he feel if he found out his wife had been regularly hiring a male escourt to take her out and bed her?

Hes a rat, and he has put you in an intolerable position by revealing such a sordid secret to you. I would feel exactly the same as you are feeling now.

Her Ladyship is lucky to be married to such a decent person.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

LOL, this guy sounds like a total jackass. You arent being priggish at all.

GBL

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

That's putting his wife in physical and emotional danger. Whores have all types of diseases.

I wouldn't want to be around anyone like that. I hope you never shake his hand...

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Its not fair if you have to play the friendly host to him AND his wife when they come over. I wouldnt like this at all. Im all for people doing what they want, but he's inviting you into the deceit ie by knowing about it.

How terrible would you feel if his wife was to babble on about how happy they are as a couple, while you know he is doing that behind her back?? If it was me i'd be sick to the stomach.

If they had a 'open' marriage (ie she knew about it and didnt have a problem with it) it perhaps would be a different issue. BUt it doesnt sound like thats the case, in which case i think you are doing the right thing.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

EM: No, you're not. The guys a sh!t for having sex with someone else, behind his wifes back.

Also, curb crawling is the lowest. I have no ethical issue with prostitution, but girls on the corner of steets are being controlled by brutal slave owners. Getting drunk to find a willing trophy is LOW.

steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit