Who Made Up The Words "THE TRUTH"

by horrible life 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I refuse to use the term with my JW family. I always say "in the Organization". The term is such a control buzzword. You're in "the truth", therefore any teaching you are taught is true, any disagreement is wrong, and anyone who leaves is rejecting "truth". It's breeds other common JW terms towards former members like "you know better". It makes me sick the more I think about it.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

It turns out it was the biggest liars that made up the term "THE TRUTH". Now, the only people who use it are the gullible and the stubbornly obstinant.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

The last stint I did of attending meetings I tried to use the term "THE TRUTH" an obscene amount of time to see if anyone would notice how ridiculous it sounded. Nobody ever noticed. Such a funny, quirky little group of people.

GBL

• defd
    defd

Jesus did. when talking to the hypocritical pharisees he said at John8:32; "You will know the truth and the truth will set you free."

• Bryan
    Bryan
    and the truth will set you free."

Thant's funny... the Witnesses are under such restrictive pressure.

Don't speak to your family if they leave!

Don't listen to that 4/4 beat!

Die! Don't accept blood!

More hours!

More Magazines!

Don't drink that beer... it offends Brother So-in-So!

Bla, bla, bla!

Free?! So much for the "Truth"!

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

defd, nice to see you again!

Of course the term was reinforced with The Truth Book of the late 60-s and 1970's. The one we used to get people to study and get them baptized within 6 months or they were going to die at Armageddon in 1975.

I wonder what happened to that simple little book?

• trevor
    trevor

Defd

Good to see you are still around.

I have always been impressed by your ability to take so much stick without flinching.

• delilah
    delilah

I always hated the term, "in the truth"....it does sound terribly arrogant. Jesus may have made that comment, but in my opinion, the "truth" has been so far stretched from what it was originally , there is little "truth" to be found in the "truth" today. It still makes me shudder to hear the term used.

Delilah

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I used to be proud to be able to say I was "in the truth". Nowadays, I never refer to the jw religion as that. The two elders who dealt with my da askes if I was absolutely sure I wanted to leave "the truth". My reply was that I now know that I was never in the truth in the first place, so therefore I wasn't leaving it, merely resigning as an employee of a publishing corporation. I rather think that sadddened them somewhat. By the wat, welcome back defd, good to see you

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It certainly is an arrogant term . To claim to be sole arbiters of truth is the height of presumption. It does indeed make it seem ridiculous to ever want to leave. it makes it also difficult to want to read any other viewpoint "Hey, we already have the truth, so why consider anything else?"

I did like the article by C T Russell , posted up by Oroborus21

We should learn to love and value truth for its own sake; to respect and honor it by owning and acknowledging it wherever we find it and by whomsoever presented. A truth presented by Satan himself is just as true as a truth stated by God.

I think he understood the concept better than his successors do

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit